Calculus Dual sus

Marko243

Hi Fanie.

Given its design with a shox and significant travel (>20mm) as opposed to e.g. BMC Teamelite with its MTT, Ill still categorise ours it as a dual sus, even though it has a flex plate.

That said, were not aware of a formal definition of soft-tail vs dual-sus in the Oxford dictionary, so you can call it as you wish.

So in other words this is not a dual suspension but a soft tail (like the older cannondales)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Fanie.

Given its design with a shox and significant travel (>20mm) as opposed to e.g. BMC Teamelite with its MTT, Ill still categorise ours it as a dual sus, even though it has a flex plate.

That said, were not aware of a formal definition of soft-tail vs dual-sus in the Oxford dictionary, so you can call it as you wish.

soft tale hard tale doesn't matter, it's still hot AF  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Calling it a soft tail would be selling it short. I think it is a DW link suspension, with what looks like a fixed rear triangle, and the pivot at the bb replaced by a flex plate. (I cant see if there is a pivot at the rear axle)

Imo the biggest advantage of a custom dual would be the ability to custom tune the pivot placement and links for each rider, according to their anti-squat requirements (which removes bob), to perfection.

Weight would be interesting - I suspect it will be a bit heavier than similar carbon frames, but lighter than aluminium ones.

I'm interested in the build process and an article would certainly help your cause. How do form those complex tube shapes? Do you have a factory/workshop one can visit?

Would also be keen to see an article like this...

You don't look for stuff like this in the dictionary???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_suspension#Soft_tail

"...use a four-bar suspension design where one of the pivots is replaced by a flexing link." By this definition it is soft tail. 

I see DW-link is a trademark, I was wrong to call it a DW. I dont know the finer defenitions of suspension well enough to know the differance between linkage driven and VPP.

Custom pivot placement combined with custom size sounds fantastic! It is priced out of my league, but if I was in that market I would prefer this over an Epic, Scalpel or Spark any day.

I don't like that defenition. Trek Procaliber and BMC Teamelite are modern examples, Ibis Bow Ti and Litespeed Unicoi older examples of what I understood a Softail to be.

That's the beauty of Wikipedia, if it doesn't suit you, change it  :thumbup:

The overall weight of the bike is 11.1kg

The frame is 2.1kg with rear shock in

No real advantage over carbon then from a weight perspective. Harshness and feel?

• 2 weeks later...

No real advantage over carbon then from a weight perspective. Harshness and feel?

For a dual, feel and comfort comes from the suspension (not frame material). This is the main selling point - the pivot placements are custom tuned for optimum performance for each owner's dimensions and body weight.

(Top end 100mm carbon duals are around 1800 grams including shock)

What is your welding process used on the frame?

Any consideration made for fatigue and stress cracks on your "flex plates

• 1 month later...

Hi, TIG is used for Ti welding as any O2 is a very bad thing when welding Ti.

Indeed we consider fatigue and material/weld flaws.  It would not be very good engineering if we didnt.  We did/do FEM analysis on stress/strain of the flex-plate to make sure it does not come close to yield point.  Apart from that, many 1000's of km by our frames on terrible corrugations and tough conditions confirms the analysis.

Hope this answers your Q's.

Let us know if you have any more.

What is your welding process used on the frame?
Any consideration made for fatigue and stress cracks on your "flex plates

Archived