KMC 12 Speed chain

Titleist

• 1 month later...

the KMC and TAYA 12 speed chains last longer than the SRAM GX and silver XO1 chains but do not compare to the GOLD or BLACK XX1 chains. The latter are good for 4500 -7000km while the  former,... max 2000km.

SRAM GX and X01 silver = +- 800-1600km

TAYA and KMC Gold 12 speed = +- 1500 - 2500km

SRAM XX1 Black or GOLD = +5000km - probably 7000km

If you run the chains beyond 0.5% wear then keep the chain and casssette tll they both shot

Edited by DieselnDust

I have logged 8000km on a KMC SL11 chain on a Campy drivetrain before it went past 0.5 % wear. No complaints from me. MUC-OFF who market their Nano chain as 10% more efficient than Ceramic Speed's Shimano chain is in actual fact a KMC chain that has been sonic cleansed and then treated with Nano lube,

NUFF SAID

on a road bike 10,000km to a chain isn't special if you look after it.

The query relates to MTB use chains the km's given is for that application

I had the silver XO1 chain. I did considerably over 10000km on it before it got to 0.5 wear. I then replaced the chain. Not sure on exact mileage, but my XO1 cassette is nearing 15000km. I trained for two epics (was hoping to get an entry in 2017 but this did not happen) , completed epic this year and did jhb2c the month after epic. All this on the original chain and cassette

Keep your drive train nice and clean, and properly lubed, and these things can last.

That mileage is possible if you ride in ideal conditions.we had a wet winter in the western cape and its destroyed drive trains

About 5000 on my X01 chain and nearing 50 percent - I keep my drivetrain spotless and don't do a lot of technical stuff so that's probably why - replaced with gold now because I upgraded to xx1 - the older drivetrain still has plenty mileage left and will move to another bike but get a new chain.

Edited by Waynemol

• 1 year later...

The KMC chain is R200 cheaper at evobikes... - just saying!

https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/chains/chain-kmc-12-sp-x12-np-nickel.html

My money would be on the KMC chain judging by its performance so far.

Thanks will have a look. Wondering if it is worth spending more and getting a getting an X0 1 chain for around R 1050?

In one word, yes.

I am very happy with KMC chains and would choose them over GX chains any day of the week. But XO1 and XX1 chains last forever, so if you have the extra cash lying around buy one, it works out cheaper than cheap chains in the long run.

I found no difference between the two in longevity. About 1500km is about all you'll get.

The XX1 lasts very long. On my second XX1 now and its got 3700km on it and the chain checker still does not register any wear.