Giant Dropper Post

AlanD

Hi All,

On today's ride my giant dropper started getting sticky and very difficult to drop down, getting stuck a few times.

Took it out to see if could clean it and then replace the cartridge but noticed some streaks on the station.

Is it worth trying to get it functioning again or is it doomed?

I wouldn't worry to much about that wear, just clean it propperly and it should be good again.

The Giant posts are very cheap so they dont really have many spare parts available except for a replacement cartridge and your cartridge is fine.

Mine looks similar to yours and I just keep it clean and lube it with Brunox and it works for me.

I've managed to get the cartridge out but how do i get the station out of the post to clean nicely? Do I just need to yank it out?

I'm not entirely sure as I've only opened mine as far as youve come. But I think if you just clean that seal part where the inner goes into the outer before fastening the locking ring you should be good to go.

I've managed to get the cartridge out but how do i get the station out of the post to clean nicely? Do I just need to yank it out?

You've gone as far as you can go - it's basically all press fitted together.

Do you still have sufficient pressure in the cartridge?

I had my dropper's pressure upped by a company that pressurises hatch struts.

You've gone as far as you can go - it's basically all press fitted together.

Do you still have sufficient pressure in the cartridge?

I had my dropper's pressure upped by a company that pressurises hatch struts.

Ooops, was adamant it should come off so gave a yank and got the outer case off, spent a good while getting it cleaned and now I cannot get the silver collar back in the outer case.

As you say, pressfit. I think ive buggered it up now :-(. Well that was a lesson learnt.

Ooops, was adamant it should come off so gave a yank and got the outer case off, spent a good while getting it cleaned and now I cannot get the silver collar back in the outer case.

As you say, pressfit. I think ive buggered it up now :-(. Well that was a lesson learnt.

The silver collar

Well maybe now is the time to take it to your LBS to see if they can fix it for you.

Either that or try to bash it back in with a screwdriver or piece of metal rod ....... if you succeed you learn something.........if you don't you learn something else....[emoji6]

The silver collar

Is that silver collar split , like A circle eoth a small gap in it ?

Of yes you can get it back in but trust me its damn hard ( ...speaking form young and dumb experience )

I'm sure people have heard this before. My Giant dropper has lasted me 4 years so far... but only because it's failed inside its warranty period and I've managed to get a new one each time and start the warranty period again.  

The latest version is now 6 months outside the warranty period and it's doing the same as yours. It works fine, is a bit 'gritty' but I'm just going to ride it till it dies and then get a decent one (one up / lyne / rapide that can be easily serviced). 

TBH they should mark these as disposable as you can't do anything to them in terms of fixing and last time I was in the LBS I bought it from there was a bucket of the all waiting to get back to giant for claims. I've kept it clean after every ride, gave it a wipe down with a glove after each climb and before the downs start. 

Meh... never again. 

Yes, that collar is split and I've tried to give it a hammering with a rubber mallet and hard plastic thing so as not to damage the stantion.

After a few bangs, it went in a little further but that was it, no more.

I've given up now and bought that cheap Brand X dropper from chain reaction cos I've just splashed out on some wheels and need to service fork and shock so cash is tight.