JHB to Durban route info sought

Fat Boab

Howzit,

Perhaps this question can benefit from research done by those riding to PMB for the Amashova?

I'm planning a solo tour, on tar road, from JHB to Durban. The specific route I want to follow involves JHB West, Randfontein, Vaal Dam, Reitz, Bethlehem, Clarens, Harrismith, Winterton, Mooi River, PMB and Durbs.

Does anyone have any elevation profiles available for this route, that they could share? Perhaps those organisers of rides from Heidelberg have something available that they could share?

Much appreciated!

Reitz, Kestell, Oliviershoek Pass, Winterton( be awareThe winterton road is bust and the farmers drive fast)

Reitz, Kestell, Oliviershoek Pass, Winterton( be awareThe winterton road is bust and the farmers drive fast)

Thanks for this.

The R74 presumably?

Bust - broken surface?

Thanks for this.

The R74 presumably?

Bust - broken surface?

Ya R74. meant busy not bust, the tar is ok all the way and down oliviershoek is good fun, new tar past sterkfontein as well...

Going clarens golden gate is scenic but it adds a lot of distance that is not needed.

Ya R74. meant busy not bust, the tar is ok all the way and down oliviershoek is good fun, new tar past sterkfontein as well...

Going clarens golden gate is scenic but it adds a lot of distance that is not needed.

Thanks again.

I'm giving myself a week so the journey is what it's about! Haven't been to Clarens for years so am looking forward to the ride through golden gate.

Going clarens golden gate is scenic but it adds a lot of climbing that will hurt.

Fixed it for you

Ping Frosty, his club have done this route a number of times leading up to and then racing Amashova

We ride this route. Most of the roads are pretty good. The descent of Oliviershoek is spectacular.

Do you have a following vehicle? If not, make very sure that you're properly visible. A single rider on some of those lonely roads could be difficult to see,

We ride Wednesday to Friday in Cycle Lab and Qhubeka kit. Feel free to grab a wheel if you're on the road at the same time.

Enjoy and be safe. It's a fantastic way to see the country.

We ride this route. Most of the roads are pretty good. The descent of Oliviershoek is spectacular.

Do you have a following vehicle? If not, make very sure that you're properly visible. A single rider on some of those lonely roads could be difficult to see,

We ride Wednesday to Friday in Cycle Lab and Qhubeka kit. Feel free to grab a wheel if you're on the road at the same time.

Enjoy and be safe. It's a fantastic way to see the country.

Thanks for this.

It'll just be me solo and unsupported. But I'm dressed like the Rio carnival with lights etc, so hopefully that will do the trick.

I leave JHB on the day of the Amashova - bad timing I know! But thanks for the offer of a wheel.

What bike are you using?

BnB's or tenting it wherever you feel like stopping?

Edit: sounds awesome by the way We drove down that way a few weeks ago and its beautiful scenery closer the berg

What bike are you using?

BnB's or tenting it wherever you feel like stopping?

Edit: sounds awesome by the way We drove down that way a few weeks ago and its beautiful scenery closer the berg

Cotic X. I'll post some pics nearer the time over on the Touring thread.

Minimal bike-packing kit but slumming it in B&Bs and backpackers and friends of friends. I don't feel like tenting it to be honest.

Be safe out there.

How you getting back ?

Thanks for this.

It'll just be me solo and unsupported. But I'm dressed like the Rio carnival with lights etc, so hopefully that will do the trick.

I leave JHB on the day of the Amashova - bad timing I know! But thanks for the offer of a wheel.

Be safe out there.

How you getting back ?

Few days lounging around in Durbs eating as much bunny chow as I can consume and then fly back!

Thought of getting the train back but I reckon I'll have had enough of adventure by then....

and the bike ?

You'll be gatvol of it and just leave it there ?

Few days lounging around in Durbs eating as much bunny chow as I can consume and then fly back!

Thought of getting the train back but I reckon I'll have had enough of adventure by then....

Archived