open 0.10 sub 8kg hardtail

Took the Open out for a proper ride today (proper for me being 70km) on the 7 Passes road here on the Garden Route. Climbed 1100m so comfortably and this is where I really noticed the weight. I was able to ride up a gear with the same effort but increased speed. A few creaks from the crank/BB area - wondering if maybe the adapters needed to piece these lightweight components together have a bearing on that - this is a problem for me, I've sold cars because I couldn't find a rattle - fortunately despite selling Spez, my LBS are super cool and have invested a lot of time and effort into my project so I will pop in on Monday and see if they can make it silent

I didn't have the balls to try the carbon AX lightness saddle I bought on the Hub. My bum however was very impressed with the second hand Sworks Phenom saddle - luckily the branding is minimal. The Carbon one would reduce the overall weight by 98g. I will test it soon.

The dreaded bb creak. I eventually went with the endurobearing threaded adapter for my rocky mountain element. The carbon bb shell wil malleable plastic cups in the setting of dust and sky-high torque begs for the ol' click and creak. Current bike is threaded. Will never go back to pressfit. A bike with a click goes in the trash.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dreaded bb creak. I eventually went with the endurobearing threaded adapter for my rocky mountain element. The carbon bb shell wil malleable plastic cups in the setting of dust and sky-high torque begs for the ol' click and creak. Current bike is threaded. Will never go back to pressfit. A bike with a click goes in the trash.

will check it out, it's a pretty unusual BBright so I'm limited

Took the Open out for a proper ride today (proper for me being 70km) on the 7 Passes road here on the Garden Route.  Climbed 1100m so comfortably and this is where I really noticed the weight.  I was able to ride up a gear with the same effort but increased speed.  A few creaks from the crank/BB area - wondering if maybe the adapters needed to piece these lightweight components together have a bearing on that - this is a problem for me, I've sold cars because I couldn't find a rattle - fortunately despite selling Spez, my LBS are super cool and have invested a lot of time and effort into my project so I will pop in on Monday and see if they can make it silent

I didn't have the balls to try the carbon AX lightness saddle I bought on the Hub.  My bum however was very impressed with the second hand Sworks Phenom saddle  - luckily the branding is minimal.  The Carbon one would reduce the overall weight by 98g.  I will test it soon.

I have found grease to be your friend on carbon bikes with creeking noises.

I had some noise on my bike stripped it and greased everything even gave the pedals a service and noise is gone and has been for some time. Have learned a long time ago the noise almost never comes from where you think.

I have found grease to be your friend on carbon bikes with creeking noises.

I had some noise on my bike stripped it and greased everything even gave the pedals a service and noise is gone and has been for some time. Have learned a long time ago the noise almost never comes from where you think.

Will strip it tomorrow and see what I can do but my skills are dodge - last time my "BB" was creaking turned out to be my seat post which was fixed with some paste - this time I know the creak comes when I put a bit of power onto the left crank 

Will strip it tomorrow and see what I can do but my skills are dodge - last time my "BB" was creaking turned out to be my seat post which was fixed with some paste - this time I know the creak comes when I put a bit of power onto the left crank

Direct mount chainring? If so then check the interface between the chainring and crank - noise only happening with power on left crank means it could be that (but tbh it could be anything).

There is 66g carbon ax lightness sadle on the hub . .

Was this in the classifieds? Can’t seem to find it anywhere. Would be a great addition to my hill climb project

Was this in the classifieds? Can’t seem to find it anywhere. Would be a great addition to my hill climb project

it was, I bought it - let me see if my butt can take it, if not I will PM you - it's in great condition, AX lightness, It weighed 64g on my park tool scale - my sworks phenom is 148 - as you know, with this disease that's a lot of grams banked - I paid 900 which is cheap for this saddle

I had a similar creak/ clicking noise on my roadie once, put new BB etc, long story short, tightened my pedal a bit, noise gone.

Noise was also when I put power on one side.

Have to take it back to my LBS - this setup beyond my paygrade - I don't even know how to take it apart and I can on my other bikes - I don't have the right tools - came with this crank and BB but I can't find it now which given my lack of bike skills is probably a blessing - think a beer is a safer option

post-81229-0-06755900-1540738918_thumb.jpg

post-81229-0-65364400-1540738936_thumb.jpg

bike is already lighter than target and with yesterdays purchase of a schmolke seatpost, time to reign in the spending - just put the saddle on and about to weigh in again... stand by

we're down to the counting fractions of grams category aren't we?

Over the standard bolts I swapped 6 of these out for, I saved around 11grams. I know it sounds ridiculous, but when you are hunting a target, every little bit helps

Archived