Hunting - yes or no?

leeubok

I've had Sapiens on my to-read list for sooooo long now - I'll just go by his whole collection...

Homo Deus is the follow up to Sapiens and hits a lot of the same beats, but I'd still recommend both. 

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another reason I'm a cynic.

People are not willing to put in the hard yards when "end of days" is moving more from "if" to "when".

Perhaps they are, but maybe not in the way that you want or insist.

http://www.globalstewards.org/images/household-emissions-global-warming.png

http://sustainable-responsible-investments.parvest.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2015/12/carbon-footrpint-breakdown.png

Looking at the charts above (I just posted the first two that popped up), what if a guy says, "you know what I will make changes in a few areas of my life... I will sell my car and bike to work, I will switch to renewable energy to power my home, I will harvest rain water, I will minimise my meant consumption, but I will not 100% switch to a plant based diet."

Surely we should encourage that rather than shoot it down?

Its not, it was an attempt to find an alternative solution. Not saying its perfect, but its an alternative.

As said above, we will be hard pressed to convince a large part of the population to move to a plant based diet. So we need to give options. Thats all.

Machine gunning all alternatives is counter productive. 

I've never discouraged folks pursuing alternatives. There isn't just one solution to this problem. 

However, I've provided this info on numerous occasions. A plant-based diet is the single greatest contribution a single person can make to reducing their carbon footprint. 

It doesn't mean that people should stop there though, but buying a car with stop-start and Meatless Mondays just isn't going to cut it. 

Perhaps they are, but maybe not in the way that you want or insist.

Looking at the charts above (I just posted the first two that popped up), what if a guy says, "you know what I will make changes in a few areas of my life... I will sell my car and bike to work, I will switch to renewable energy to power my home, I will harvest rain water, I will minimise my meant consumption, but I will not 100% switch to a plant based diet."

Surely we should encourage that rather than shoot it down?

That's exactly what I've been saying....

Read it again:

No absolution at all was intended - every little thing we do will prolong life so I'm pro "greening" - much more now that I am living in a country where it is ingrained into culture/life.

Spinnekop, Slowbee, I know they're off-topic, but if you delete the posts from the last few pages I'm going to be so pissed. 

Edited by Odinson

I've never discouraged folks pursuing alternatives. There isn't just one solution to this problem. 

However, I've provided this info on numerous occasions. A plant-based diet is the single greatest contribution a single person can make to reducing their carbon footprint. 

It doesn't mean that people should stop there though, but buying a car with stop-start and Meatless Mondays just isn't going to cut it. 

Perhaps it is, but its also one of the more difficult to get right on mass scale. Hence me saying that alternatives need to be offered. 

Perhaps it is, but its also one of the more difficult to get right on mass scale. Hence me saying that alternatives need to be offered. 

I think you're making a good point, but in your generalizations to the average man you must be careful not to fall too far over into doing whats convenient, over whats 'right'. Tough decisions are meant to be tough.

I think you're making a good point, but in your generalizations to the average man you must be careful not to fall too far over into doing whats convenient, over whats 'right'. Tough decisions are meant to be tough.

Absolutely.

There will be a correlation to how much you care about the environment to how much you are willing to change. This is a spectrum, and options need to be given to areas of the spectrum. 

Some will be harder than others and some will have more impact than others.

But all that I am saying, is that if we want to make a larger impact, we cannot lose the audience.

C'mon, Patch. 

Imagine this scenario: You're standing in a Tesco. In the dairy/milk aisle. You reach your hand out to take a carton. You move it slightly left and in doing so, you take the oat milk as opposed to the bovine breastmilk et voila!  I can go on, but you get the picture. 

For someone moving to the UK (London, I think), you should look into the vegan/plant-based scene there. IT. IS. MASSIVE. 

As is the move to utilizing insects as a sustainable food source!

Absolutely.

There will be a correlation to how much you care about the environment to how much you are willing to change. This is a spectrum, and options need to be given to areas of the spectrum. 

Some will be harder than others and some will have more impact than others.

But all that I am saying, is that if we want to make a larger impact, we cannot lose the audience.

You're right that there are a plethora of solutions, some more effective than others. 

I think of it this way. Remember just a short while ago when it was suggested by the Min. of Transport (I think) that folks consider buying a more fuel efficient car to weather the fuel price increase and South Africans collectively pissed themselves at such a 'preposterous' proposal? Now, try telling people that they need to switch their GTis for Leafs (Leaves?) to reduce their carbon emissions and we see how that goes down. 

I honestly believe that switching to a plant-based diet is not that difficult and not expensive. I'm open to folks disagreeing with me and that's okay. I'll continue championing this path for various reasons. 

Here is a link for anyone who is interested in looking into options to reduce their carbon emissions: https://www.drawdown.org/ Here they are by rank

post-62668-0-15025700-1540384260_thumb.png

Perhaps the question we have to ask ourselves is this:

When we die, perhaps tomorrow, perhaps far in the future, will we leave earth a better place than it was the day we were born, or will we leave it worse off, because of how we lived our lives?

If you can honestly say that you made it a better place, then I don't care whether you are a vegan or a hunter and I take your side, you are my brother in arms!

Thread well and truly nailed

Blame DJR  :whistling:

I hunt. Haven't shot anything in 4 yrs. But i will kill my own food. I will not move to a plant based diet because of smoked brisket and i believe i have 2 kids. My gran,85 and senile, said "'n man sal nooit weet nie". She was an NG dominee's wife and knew everything, or maybe grandpa believed he had 4 kids... ????

Not really, there are plenty of unbiased news articles showing the scale at which veganism is growing and it is not a fad. And the vegan food options and alternatives these days are so good it really only comes down to people not being prepared to try it. I can say with hand on my heart that my vegan meals are as good, if not better, than my previous meat diet.

My wife made a vegan sticky toffee pudding this weekend - you would not know the difference.