Hunting - yes or no?

leeubok

Please explain that accusation? 

It is not an accusation - just an observation.

What is the point of inventing imaginary situations with a binary solutions?

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not an accusation - just an observation.

What is the point of inventing imaginary situations with a binary solutions?

Its not imaginary.

eg: For myself and my wife, it will probably be easier to decide to only have one child than for us to both try and switch to a plant based diet for the rest of our lives. 

Its not imaginary.

eg: For myself and my wife, it will probably be easier to decide to only have one child than for us to both try and switch to a plant based diet for the rest of our lives. 

Do both.

Week? WINTER IS COMING - the weather is going to be crap until March! Fortunately the Danes are acutely aware of the situation and there is plenty to distract us from the weather :-)

Cynic Eldron stems more from "the system". I don't think the geographical, political and financial systems in place at the moment are flexible enough to avert "end of days". That said - humans are pretty adept at surviving and when a big enough epiphany happens they tend to panic and get **** done.

No absolution at all was intended - every little thing we do will prolong life so I'm pro "greening" - much more now that I am living in a country where it is ingrained into culture/life.

I'm with you on population control - that is the problem - the rest of the items you mentioned are symptoms of the problem.

I would wager a bet that real coordinated population control would not be seen in our lifetime. The 'Mericans can't seem to even agree whether a woman is allowed to have an abortion or not. Now, try telling them they're not allowed to have more than one kid. Oooh eh eh. 

Please explain that accusation? I asked if given the option, which would have the greater impact. And I know the best answer, is "do both". But that is easier said than done.

Do both.

Preempted that.

I would wager a bet that real coordinated population control would not be seen in our lifetime. The 'Mericans can't seem to even agree whether a woman is allowed to have an abortion or not. Now, try telling them they're not allowed to have more than one kid. Oooh eh eh. 

100% - that is why Eldron is a cynic  :D

A practical way to solve the world conundrum is using the theory of Thanos - problem is we'd spend the next century deciding who dies and who lives....

Preempted that.

You keep using the world "easier". "Easier" does not prohibit you doing both - it just makes your life "easier" and a bigger part of the problem.

Its not imaginary.

I can't agree with this logic, Patch. It's a cop-out. 

Your one kid could end up having five kids, who would have a greater environmental impact than someone's two kids, who each only has one kid. Who far down this rabbit hole do you want to go? 

Population control also isn't purely a numbers game, if you're looking at it from an ecological/sustainability point of view. Your one child will probably have a greater ecological footprint than 5 kids born and raised in a Mozambican fishing village or some other isolated corner of the world. 

AI - I think can very easily become humans version 2. We're serving them so willingly and effectively so far.

Do yourself a favour and read 'Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow'. You'll love it. 

.................. problem is we'd spend the next century deciding who dies and who lives....

That is why I think the decision will eventually be made for us. If you can imagine an apocalyptic meteorite strike or an incurable epidemic "deciding and executing".

You keep using the world "easier". "Easier" does not prohibit you doing both - it just makes your life "easier" and a bigger part of the problem.

If you are going to want to find a way to get more people onboard, you will need to find solutions that people will adopt with greater ease.

Only a small percentage of the population will be willing to greatly inconvenience themselves for a cause that is has a rather long term benefit.

I am not saying this is right, but this is reality.

.........Population control also isn't purely a numbers game.........

So, you agree that selective culling is called for :ph34r: (sorry, just kidding)

I can't agree with this logic, Patch. It's a cop-out. 

Your one kid could end up having five kids, who would have a greater environmental impact than someone's two kids, who each only has one kid. Who far down this rabbit hole do you want to go? 

Population control also isn't purely a numbers game, if you're looking at it from an ecological/sustainability point of view. Your one child will probably have a greater ecological footprint than 5 kids born and raised in a Mozambican fishing village or some other isolated corner of the world. 

Its not, it was an attempt to find an alternative solution. Not saying its perfect, but its an alternative.

As said above, we will be hard pressed to convince a large part of the population to move to a plant based diet. So we need to give options. Thats all.

Machine gunning all alternatives is counter productive. 

If you are going to want to find a way to get more people onboard, you will need to find solutions that people will adopt with greater ease.

Only a small percentage of the population will be willing to greatly inconvenience themselves for a cause that is has a rather long term benefit.

Yet another reason I'm a cynic.

People are not willing to put in the hard yards when "end of days" is moving more from "if" to "when".

C'mon, Patch. 

Imagine this scenario: You're standing in a Tesco. In the dairy/milk aisle. You reach your hand out to take a carton. You move it slightly left and in doing so, you take the oat milk as opposed to the bovine breastmilk et voila!  I can go on, but you get the picture. 

For someone moving to the UK (London, I think), you should look into the vegan/plant-based scene there. IT. IS. MASSIVE. 

Do yourself a favour and read 'Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow'. You'll love it. 

I've had Sapiens on my to-read list for sooooo long now - I'll just go by his whole collection...