The Veganism Thread

Odinson

You missing the point completely.  I'm not trying to justify one life choice over another.   What I'm saying is Veganism is going to get a bad rap down the road if Big Food is allowed to run its course.

Massive brands are promoting Veganism as a healthy lifestyle and that it is going to save the planet.  At the same time these brands are subtly trying to influence dietary guidelines throughout the world.  The Lancet paper is a prime example this propaganda.  

Down the road, these brands will then gladly add a 'Vegan Compliant' badge to their product.  So, your average consumer, having been bombarded with marketing hype that Veganism is the way to go, walks into the supermarket, sees your packet of Lays, chocolate bars, Ben and Jerry's (and every other piece of processed crap out there) with 'Vegan compliant' badges on them and gladly adds it to their basket thinking they are eating healthy and saving the planet.

As a vegan (which I assume you are) I would be concerned about this association.  

Your comment about McDonalds is exactly the point I'm trying to make.  You imply that McDonalds is branded as a meat product.  And probably a lot of their own marketing implies this too.  But in reality, apart from a piss williy piece of processed slosh that goes on the bun, there is hardly any meat involved with McDonalds.  So, everyone orders super sized McDonalds meals, gets fat and unhealthy and then blames the tiny piece of 'meat' on the bun.  This is exactly where Veganism is going to end up in 5 years time if Big Food is allowed to continue down this path.

As a genuine vegan eating whole natural foods (which I assume you are), I would be concerned about this path.

Ah, okay. Now I get what you're trying to say. 

I think you're touching on an important point and I'm quite sure we'll see your prediction come to pass as veganism continues to grow and more and more 'Big Food' jump on the bandwagon. Hell, even KFC is experimenting with 'vegan chicken'. 

I think therefore it's important to make the distinction between a vegan diet and a whole foods plant-based diet. When someone tells you they eat a 'vegan diet' it tells you what they're not eating, i.e. animal products. When someone tells that they're on a whole foods plant-based diet, it tells you what they are eating, i.e. whole plant foods in as far as possible in their natural state. 

When folks discuss the health benefits of a vegan diet, more often than not they are referring to a whole foods plant-based diet, as the health benefits are most strongly associated with that type of eating. You can have a terrible vegan diet, if all you eat the whole time is Oreos and fries. However, I think if you compared a crappy animal based processed food diet with a crappy vegan processed food diet, the vegan one might edge out, as it will typically not have cholesterol, the same levels of saturated fats, etc. in. 

So yeah, irrespective of where you land on the spectrum, I think we can all agree that we need to minimise processed foods and maximise whole foods. 

How are we going to stop Big Food from hijacking the health benefits of a vegan/whole foods plant-based diet? Honestly, I don't know. Most people are more prone to listen to marketing from KFC than they are to health and nutrition guidelines. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for varksteaks, eat your salad, eat your steak, leave the dogs alone (we are not chinese), let the horses be (to the french). Each person to it's own. Save the whales, they do no harm, eat the cows, they contribute to global warming. If you feel offended, draw a tree....

Edited by corriekuilder

Oh for varksteaks, eat your salad, eat your steak, leave the dogs alone (we are not chinese), let the horses be (to the french). Each person to it's own. Save the whales, they do no harm, eat the cows, they contribute to global warming. If you feel offended, draw a tree....

Round of applause for Mr Kuilder please! Off the charts value add right here

Triggered much? 

Oh please give me a break.

But honestly, your two's intolerance of anything slightly opposing your views is really not cool.

Lighten up, you might find that people will start listening to you. Both of you engage so well in most other topics, just seems here that emotions might cloud judgement a bit.

Needless to say, very few people left to engage here.

Edited by Patchelicious

Oh please give me a break.

But honestly, your two's intolerance of anything slightly opposing your views is really not cool.

Lighten up, you might find that people will start listening to you. Both of you engage so well in most other topics, just seems here that emotions might cloud judgement a bit.

Needless to say, very few people left to engage here.

Me? Hahaha

I've really enjoyed this week more than others. Its been great to parley with Mr Mass Extinction. 

Speaking of which, Mr Licious, how was the meat-less diet? Or is it still going?

Its been upped to 3 days a week from 2.

Its only difficult when going out with friends and they order steaks etc.

My wife, who also subscribes to some sort of weird religion like thing, will likely go veggie for lent, which will make it easier too.

I’m chilled. I think my posts don’t always convey tone well ????

BTW, ‘Herbivorous Terrorist’ would make a killer hub name. Will need to perform a Trigger Risk Assessment first though.

Its been upped to 3 days a week from 2.

Its only difficult when going out with friends and they order steaks etc.

My wife, who also subscribes to some sort of weird religion like thing, will likely go veggie for lent, which will make it easier too.

i will check her out in heaven one day....