Michelin Wildgrip R2 Tubeless Tyre - MTB

RocknRolla

Was looking for new rubber for the missus over the festive season.

Per chance I saw that Takelot had some tyres on offer from Michelin.

Keen to try these out, as I believe Michelin is new on the tyre market in SA. At R650 a pop, they seemed priced right.

(View the ad here: https://www.takealot.com/michelin-wildgrip-r2-ts-tubeless-tyre-27-5cm-x-2-25cm/PLID49606219 )

They took a couple of days to get here, but received them early Jan.

I was quite impressed with fairly aggressive looking rubber.

post-24416-0-03176700-1546933750_thumb.jpeg

post-24416-0-57302200-1546933786_thumb.jpeg

The tyres has directional indicators for front and rear indicated on the sidewall. They went on to the DT swiss Spline 1900's effortlessly, and seated with a satisfying (and equally terrifying) pop-pop. I use a compressor to fit tyres, as the track-pump see-if-your-triceps-can-make-it, doesnt work for me.

post-24416-0-53075900-1546934095_thumb.jpeg

post-24416-0-44273600-1546934141_thumb.jpeg

(You may wonder if the compressor is in my lounge, my wife loves cycling, and does not mind me with parts and stuff in the house, but I think the compressor in the lounge may be a push too far.)

The front went on equally easy, inflated and seated effortlessly. I did check direction about 3 times before final installation.

The finished product:

post-24416-0-17089100-1546934317_thumb.jpeg

We will be taking the new rubber for a shakedown ride at Avianto this afternoon, and I will report back.

You might want to double check the direction on that rear tyre...

I also opted for the same in size 29x2.25. Very happy with them!

I am thinking of moving the 2.25 to the front and getting 2.1 for the back.

PS.

Cycle Lab got them for 599

**Edit** Spelling

I've ridden the Wild Grip'R in the 2.35 version. Tough as nails, last long and offer great grip. My only gripe was that they're quite 'short' tyres (i.e. short distance between bead and tread). 

I'm with Nico - 99.9% certain you mounted the rear tyre the wrong way round.  :ph34r:

Just went into the Garage to double check, and the tyre is installed as per the directional arrow on the sidewall.

Was so relieved when I found out I was right..happens maybe twice a year... so I will have to wait a very long time to experience this feeling again.

Okay... all of us wrong then. Just looks backwards with the direction of the tread and the steps onto the centre and side knobs.

I've done it once or twice, that sinking feeling when you realise after you have just used a hand pump to get a tyre to seat! haha

Yes looked like it was the wrong way round. But looking at the tread it would seem that applying force on the pedal would cause the threads to 'cup/scoop' the dirt at the bottom, possibly resulting in better traction?

Just went into the Garage to double check, and the tyre is installed as per the directional arrow on the sidewall.

Was so relieved when I found out I was right..happens maybe twice a year... so I will have to wait a very long time to experience this feeling again.

My OCD kicked in yesterday so I went and checked my directional indicators as well.

Forward arrow is showing forward and my tyre's tread is definitely in a different direction than yours.

My bike is in for annual service. Once I have it back, then I will upload a pic.

The Saguaro tyres had the same directional swop for front and rear tyres, however it was indicated as "speed" & "traction" on the tyre. Front tyres are installed in the "traction" direction, and the rear in the "speed" direction.

I assume this to be the same. If I find that the missus is slipping when under power on the rear, I may change direction.

We never went for that shakedown ride yesterday, as these was a wee storm out west in the afternoon...

I see what you mean. It is marked as Front with a directional arrow and marked Rear with a directional arrow.

Meaning: If you use it as a front tyre it must roll in that direction and if you use it as a rear tyre it must roll in the other direction.

I see what you mean. It is marked as Front with a directional arrow and marked Rear with a directional arrow.

Meaning: If you use it as a front tyre it must roll in that direction and if you use it as a rear tyre it must roll in the other direction.

Correct

• 4 weeks later...

My OCD kicked in yesterday so I went and checked my directional indicators as well.

Forward arrow is showing forward and my tyre's tread is definitely in a different direction than yours.

My bike is in for annual service. Once I have it back, then I will upload a pic.

How did it go?

How did it go?

OP's direction is correct. The shop changed the direction while they serviced the bike, without me asking/mentioning anything

Archived