Hill climbing in centurion/midrand

bluewhite

Hi

I’ve been given an entry to do the Swiss epic in August . From what I’ve read it’s 350km over 5 days with 12000m of climbing . I stay in an area where there’s no hills and was wondering if anybody knows of any monster hills to climb in the midrand centurion region

Depends on what you classify as monster hills  :P

Nothing really long, few short steep hills - mostly on tar...  Either way you going to have to do a few repeats...  Longest hill close by is probably Klapperkop, otherwise head west and go over Breedt's Nek a few times (very boring though but good exercise especially from the Shebeen side).  Haven't been there in a few months but probably a bit washed out with the amount of rain in the last few weeks, so a bit more of a challenge.

Midrand is also not flat, but nothing major in elevation - so depends on how fast you go I guess how hard it will be.

Otherwise the east or Pretoria can also be used, once again doing a few repeats - but Solomon Mahlangu, Atterbury extension, Saints, WTF and Nkwe in a combination can help with hill training.

I have lived a trained on the east rand ( very flat ) for over 40 years so have never had the luxury of good hills to climb . We have always treated any elevation in the road as Allpe d'Huez and attack it from the bottom every time . When it came to races i never battled on the higher and longer climbs . If you have the opportunity to go ride high and long climbs and gauge your fitness on them it helps .

Here's some hills in the East / Waterkloof area. I tried to break 2000m in the shortest distance without too many repeats. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/466400283 

PS. by doing the whole Rubenstein towards Solomon, back all the way to Blouhaak and then left onto Rugters will give you around 300m over (if memory serves) 7-11km. By repeating it about 4 times will give you 900m+ in under 40km. 

Good luck with the race

Give Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve near Heidelberg a try. Not very close to Midrand, but it's great hillclimb training.

Here's some hills in the East / Waterkloof area. I tried to break 2000m in the shortest distance without too many repeats. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/466400283 

PS. by doing the whole Rubenstein towards Solomon, back all the way to Blouhaak and then left onto Rugters will give you around 300m over (if memory serves) 7-11km. By repeating it about 4 times will give you 900m+ in under 40km. 

Good luck with the race

Howsit Robert, would like to give this a go.

But when opening Strava says the activity could not be found?

It was some hard work on a MTB but it was a good session. I have found that what the elevation on the road ends up being and what Strava says when plotting a route sometimes differs by around 150-200m over the total distance.

The first time I plotted a route it came to something like 2080m over 75-80km, I then went out and rode the exact same route only to find that I only climbed 1897m. You could just imagine how annoyed I was missing the 2000m by 103m  :eek:

If you do have a Garmin or Polar or whatever that shows elevation (I only had my phone back in the day) you'll see when you break 2000m  :rolleyes:.

Here's another route which is slightly longer with slightly more climbing  :devil:

https://www.strava.com/routes/3700630 

Thanks!

Edit: Wowsers, well done on that ride

It was some hard work on a MTB but it was a good session. I have found that what the elevation on the road ends up being and what Strava says when plotting a route sometimes differs by around 150-200m over the total distance.

The first time I plotted a route it came to something like 2080m over 75-80km, I then went out and rode the exact same route only to find that I only climbed 1897m. You could just imagine how annoyed I was missing the 2000m by 103m  :eek:

If you do have a Garmin or Polar or whatever that shows elevation (I only had my phone back in the day) you'll see when you break 2000m  :rolleyes:.

Here's another route which is slightly longer with slightly more climbing  :devil:

Give Open Runner a try for plotting routes and calculating gradient etc. It's a bit more accurate and has some other cool features (plotting weather and wind against the route for a particular day etc which is useful for preparing for a race)

As I recall, you can also search for other uploaded/plotted routes on there too. 

Are you like a pro or something?! :thumbup:

Some nice interval training there.  I've entered the Swartberg GF and would like to nail the climbing. 

i commute from woodmead to eco park (centurion). there are some hills along R101 but you need MTB due to lack of decent shoulder lane

good luck with the race

Archived