"First" bike help

Chadvdw67

Hi guys, last time I rode a mountain bike was probably more than 13 years ago, just really used it to travel to school and friends etc.

But a few friends have started mountain biking and I would like to join them, because I know it will be fun, and will help with fitness for other hobbies.

What I want to know from you experienced riders is, is it worth me diving straight in and getting a dual suspension bike? Or will a hardtail suffice?

If I go dual suspension it will be a Merida 120 600.

But hard tails? What can you recommend, I read somewhere on here that the Titan plus trail hardtail is "outdated" geometry wise, is that true? What other hardtails for up to say R15k can you recommend? I really haven't seen very many hardtail trail bikes, or maybe I just do t kow where to look.

Thanks in advance.

If you wan get the latest Merida 120 600, then go for that. Those are awesome XC/light trail bikes. 

Hardtail bikes with more aggressive geometry are slightly more difficult to come by in SA, especially at around 15k. If you're lucky, you might find something in the classifieds from Commencal, Cotic or On-One. 

The first factor is you must like the bike. Unless your sponsor chooses for you.

The second is that it needs to fall inside your budget.

Following this, its just legs and lungs.

The switch to Dual Sus was definitely worth it for me. 

I did proper homework on a 2nd hand bike and used a Local Bike Shop to give it a once over and tell me if it is fine, been happy with it ever since.

Bikehub Classified bikes are usually good value for money.

Please post a picture when you get it.

There used to be a tradition here that all pictures of bikes must be on the couch

There is quite a few factors to consider when you're looking to purchase a new bike. Unfortunately we'll all be able to advice but ultimately it will be up to you to decide based off your riding style, terrain and needs. Here's some things to keep in mind when looking:

If you get a trail bike bear in mind that the headset angle will be more than 70 deg. This will be very nice when riding a technical bike park and you'll not notice that the bike will be fairly slow and sluggish on a long day out in the saddle (100km+ ride). Trail bikes also tend to be slightly heavier than the normal xc or marathon bikes due to higher travel on the shock and fork (generally more than 140mm). 

The next factor to consider will be that you have other hobbies as well, so you would not want to spend too much on a bike just to have it sit in the garage. 

The next factor to consider: HT vs Dual Sus. This boils down to preference and or if you have any injuries which you're having to contend with i.e. back issues or whatever other injuries you have to carry around with you on the bike. A HT is nice and fast, very aggressive as well, but if you're doing a technical ride you'll pay for it and your hands and shoulders will take to impact. 

Another factor to also bear in mind will be the type of terrain you guys ride. If you're based in Gauteng then in my opinion a trail bike is a bit like getting yourself a Hilux bakkie to ride around in Sandton  :whistling:. It doesn't serve the purpose

My suggestion would be to look at a marathon or XC bike with less travel and a more aggressive headset so you can get some speed when doing a long day in the saddle or entering something like the 94.7  :thumbup:  

I've been riding for about 6 months now. I didn't take the Dual-sus leap. My choice for my first bike was a hard tail and I am super happy with it. It's a XC bike but I literally throw anything it at and ride as hard as some of my fellow dual-sus mates. I'll ride it until the wheels fall off... But I will upgrade to a Dual-Sus in the near future. My MO is to go through the paces of cycling, by upgrading every few years I then get to appreciate the value of cheap components and expensive upgrades, instead of just buying big one time with a big bankroll.

My suggestion is... If your budget only allows for a Single-Sus, and you're okay with that, then that's cool, get a nice single-sus... Then one day when Squirrel Ramaphosa turns this economy around and Dual-Sus' becomes cheaper... Get it!

Also don't forget you will need to consider cycling kit (helmets, tubes, pumps, etc.), maybe roof racks/bike carrier for your car (if needed), these all add up significantly... 

I see you mentioned R15k, if that is your budget, then you can definitely find a second hand Dual-sus bike which some of the other guys on here will have more expertise on. Good luck!

Archived