Porcupine Ridge MTB Challenge

Rouxenator

Agree it was a super well organised race, but you’re right that they didn’t promote it very well this year.

The race itself was my first one and I found it very tough, no free miles. The wind was nasty in places and the rocks and sand and growth made for constant concentration.

I had 3 little spills: hit a rock on the overgrown centre of the jeep track and ended up sitting there in a bush, had a slow motion slide on one of the rocky downhill corners that I just toppled over on and finally got caught in a huge sandpit and ended up in a ditch. Nothing serious though.

Would have been my third one but alas ... last minute notice and SO pressure to stay in for a late breakfast smoothie .... oh well... next year.

Not anything to do with the event itself, but as I mentioned in previous years - please get flat pedals. I could ride so many sections the clippy crowds could not, and also get held by them at times.

Cleats are great to get more power out, but this (and many other) MTB rides are about agility - not power. 

Not anything to do with the event itself, but as I mentioned in previous years - please get flat pedals. I could ride so many sections the clippy crowds could not, and also get held by them at times.

Cleats are great to get more power out, but this (and many other) MTB rides are about agility - not power. 

Preach brova, before the race I was contemplating putting my clippies back on, I am 150% glad I did not, I can count at least 2 points where I would have been on my ass if I were clipped in, at the 1 point I probably would have broken something if I was not able to rip my feet off instantly.

Last year I had a ball, this year I had to withdraw, doctors orders. But I agree with Rouxenator, flats is not a bad idea. I almost saw my ass a number of times on rocky riverbeds. Greater publicity is needed, but then I would hate to be on a trail with 1000 plus riders, lol . Glad folks enjoyed it

So FOMO....kinda dissappointed about publicity as I missed it, but I see the lack of publicity as actually part of the appeal.

Sounds like the guys had fun. Lekker. Wont be caught sleeping again!

So FOMO....kinda dissappointed about publicity as I missed it, but I see the lack of publicity as actually part of the appeal.

Sounds like the guys had fun. Lekker. Wont be caught sleeping again!

I suggest you join their Facebook Page, that is how I got my alert. Otherwise I would have missed it. In the past PPA was involved so you would see it on their calendar.

I googled it and found the entrytime page. I think apart from Facebook they did not do any marketing - which is a pity as this was very good. 

Archived