Operation get back on the bike

mikethebike234

It's been 3+ years.basically since tokai burnt down. The bike looks a bit sad and it looks like the tyres need to be replaced first. Where can I get good 26inch tubeless tyres for a good price?

Edited by mikethebike234

It's been 3+ years.basically since tokai burnt down. The bike looks a bit sad and it looks like the tyres need to be replaced first. Where can I get good 26inch tubeless tyres for a good price?

At your LBS.

At your LBS.

Stoke suspension works. They've got some 26" Maxxis tyres.

Easiest option

Like Vetseun said your LBS, most people are so indoctrinated by ths "26er is dead" stories that they don't even bother to look at their LBS first, rather rush off to the internet cause the internet knows everything.

On the other hand the Maxxis Crossmark is probably the best stocked and cheapest 26er tyre available at LBS's at the moment and then comes the next complaint "can't you get something wider than 2.1 and with better grip than the horrible Crossmark?" But then they don't want to pay upwards of R700 for what else is available.

So in conclusion follow the above advice regarding the Maxxis tyres from stoked or get a fatbike.....

Like Vetseun said your LBS, most people are so indoctrinated by ths "26er is dead" stories that they don't even bother to look at their LBS first, rather rush off to the internet cause the internet knows everything.

On the other hand the Maxxis Crossmark is probably the best stocked and cheapest 26er tyre available at LBS's at the moment and then comes the next complaint "can't you get something wider than 2.1 and with better grip than the horrible Crossmark?" But then they don't want to pay upwards of R700 for what else is available.

So in conclusion follow the above advice regarding the Maxxis tyres from stoked or get a fatbike.....

yeah, and then you get the offshore options which, if you go to CRC, you'll see that there are still 160 variants of 26" rubber. 

Only guys who don't make sixer rubber in any good tread & casing types are Spaz. Most aggressive they have is a ground control. Mehness.

all seems pretty reasonable advice and I will probably just get crossmarks it's not like I'm planning to conquer the world or anything.. the current tyres tread is not bad but the tyres seem to be delaminating ... One thing I cannot justify is a new bike ..A. there is nothing really wrong with my old goose 26er cept maybe the front forks seem a bit soft but it's got nice wheels and gears etc .. and I'm not a big bloke so I don't need a huge bike it fits me just fine.

all seems pretty reasonable advice and I will probably just get crossmarks it's not like I'm planning to conquer the world or anything.. the current tyres tread is not bad but the tyres seem to be delaminating ... One thing I cannot justify is a new bike ..A. there is nothing really wrong with my old goose 26er cept maybe the front forks seem a bit soft but it's got nice wheels and gears etc .. and I'm not a big bloke so I don't need a huge bike it fits me just fine.

If you value your face, don't get crossmarks. 

Are they that bad? The old ones are monorail and they seemed ok ..please bear with me I'm like a noob all over again ..can't believe how much has changed in only a few years ...26ers seem to be virtually extinct ????

If you value your face, don't get crossmarks.

I think not being on a bike for nearly 4 years is more likely to result in a damaged face...????????

Are they that bad? The old ones are monorail and they seemed ok ..please bear with me I'm like a noob all over again ..can't believe how much has changed in only a few years ...26ers seem to be virtually extinct ????

So with a budget of R400 w tyre what am looking at? Sportsmans wharehouse have something called chaoyanyong or something what is he verdict on those?

There is a thread dedicated to the Chaoyanyong ....

I have it on my commuter, and VERY happy with it !

So with a budget of R400 w tyre what am looking at? Sportsmans wharehouse have something called chaoyanyong or something what is he verdict on those?

A friend of mine fitted them. Claimed that they were fine. I know that at the Munga there are / were the tyre that you could have fitted free of charge if you had a catastrophic tyre failure and you could make it to a race village.

I think it should be a good budget choice.

Edited by Vetseun

Forgot about the Chaoyang brand, I have a set of their road tyres on my roadie, good value for money IMHO.

They should be more than fine if your getting into the swing of things again. In fact 2 brothers I know who are not exactly front field guys but do the Cape Epic, the Wines2Whales and similar big races every year have been running Chaoyang on their Spark RC's for the past two years and have had very little problems with these tyres.

Would personally also opt for these over the Crossmarks for better grip, preferably the Zippering as I like the tread pattern on them as apose to the Hornet, however I think you only get the Hornet in 26, still maybe better than Crossmark.

The Crossmark is a very strong(heavy) hardy tyre but offers very little grip wise hence Myles's post about your face.