To 1x11 or to not. That's the question.

Jacobus Louw

Thanx Gents. I decided to go XT m8000 11/46 with new freewheel body. Keep 34. The sunrace 10/46 cassette was the same price as a xt cassette with a new freehub. Ill take the xd drive off and keep it one side for after.

Got the entry with a friend who organised a sponsor so no pay.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I'd caution against overcapitalizing on such an old bike. 

Maybe look into cheaper wide range 10spd options. SRAM 11spd will also put you out of pocket for a new XD driver or hub, unless you go for the NX range. 

Mabe look into the Shimano Deore M6000 rear mech, shifter, chain and 11-42 casette. That way you can perhaps use your existing crank (incl. a NW chainring). 

Without reading anything else further down I would agree with this (experience talking here). A 10spd with 11-42 is 100% perfect for most riding when paired with a 30T NW up front or a 32T if you are stronger than me  :thumbup:  You can pick up a set of decent shifters on the hub for a steal and shop around for a cassette and chain (Chris Willemse/Cyclelab had a Deore 11-42 10spd cassette for R 550 I think)