[Event] The Durbie Dash MTB

Ernst Viljoen

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently there was an issue with a TBMC member/s that left a gate open and one of the Eland bucks escaped (someone from our neighbourhood watch actually reported it on our group) and this P'd the land owner off to such an extent that he withdrew land access. Which I can fully understand as those animals are not cheap. Please don't quote me - this is what I heard in the starting shute... 

^_^ Well played. 

At the speed I climb I would have fallen over. 

What did they say at the start was the reason we could not go up the old route? I heard them talking about it but was too far back. 

Edited by MeridaHFS

Apparently there was an issue with a TBMC member/s that left a gate open and one of the Eland bucks escaped (someone from our neighbourhood watch actually reported it on our group) and this P'd the land owner off to such an extent that he withdrew land access. Which I can fully understand as those animals are not cheap. Please don't quote me - this is what I heard in the starting shute... 

that is a shame, if true, the few impacting the many

I spent 60km thinking about this post and wondering to myself - "when is this cobra thing that everyone's talking about coming up? I don't want to be airlifted out of here".  I got to the finish and still didn't know what the cobra was!

hahaha 100% there's one dodge section and that's it, nothing too crazy, but there is also a big ass door saying "THE COBRA" before dropping in, how did you miss it  :w00t:  :w00t:

hahaha 100% there's one dodge section and that's it, nothing too crazy, but there is also a big ass door saying "THE COBRA" before dropping in, how did you miss it  :w00t:  :w00t:

This was my first MTB race I've done and it's weird I actually feel totally fine on rocky / technical type stuff, but normal dusty jeep track freak me out, like those red dirt roads through vineyards. I crawl through there because it just feels like I'm going to slide out, and if the road is sloping to one side, i end up drifting off of the road and into the bushes. I dropped too many F-bombs in that first hour.

To make it worse, the sole of my (borrowed) shoe came off within 10km of the ride, so rode the next 50km resting shoe on the sole which was still clipped into the pedal. 

Had some good banter with one dude who'd smoke me on the downhills and then I'd pass him on the following climbs and then he'd pass me on the downhill again, which we carried on like that until the finish. Shout out to Robert! (I think that's his name)

Also got loads of chirps for being on a 26er, along the lines about belonging in a museum.

So I decided to only wake up at 5:50am ????????‍♂️???????????????????????? decision to climb back into bed or just ride it as training. Chose the latter and started at 6:25 with the A bunch of the 45km Route guys. Then it was basically a solo time trial until I caught the first backmarkers climbing up Hillcrest, Picking them off 1 by 1. Most frustrating part was getting stuck behind them on the single tracks up and down. Rode a time of 3:18.