[Event] The Durbie Dash Road

Ernst Viljoen

imagine you enter a race, seeded in the sharp end then just content with sitting in with no real purpose...

this idea blows my mind specifically for a 2 hour ride!

"tactical game, waiting for the sprint"  :clap:  :clap:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imagine you enter a race, seeded in the sharp end then just content with sitting in with no real purpose...

this idea blows my mind specifically for a 2 hour ride!

My 2c after having done a few Durbie Dashes in the past.. Flat route with no big climbs (and almost no wind on the day) it's almost impossible to make a breakaway stick before the last few km. (unless you have a team of Savages that fell back to ride with you). Also no point in working too much upfront, you will just get kicked into the curb the last 10km when the wheelsuckers suddenly discover their racing legs.

I was the idiot who did the solo breakaway 2nd last climb before the end. Quietly hoped 4 or 5 brave/stupid souls might join me and we would have had a fighting chance to stay ahead of the bunch working together. Alas, seems everybody else was happy to hang back and take their chance with the bunch sprint..

My 2c after having done a few Durbie Dashes in the past.. Flat route with no big climbs (and almost no wind on the day) it's almost impossible to make a breakaway stick before the last few km. (unless you have a team of Savages that fell back to ride with you). Also no point in working too much upfront, you will just get kicked into the curb the last 10km when the wheelsuckers suddenly discover their racing legs.

I was the idiot who did the solo breakaway 2nd last climb before the end. Quietly hoped 4 or 5 brave/stupid souls might join me and we would have had a fighting chance to stay ahead of the bunch working together. Alas, seems everybody else was happy to hang back and take their chance with the bunch sprint..

I started in the $ bunch. We formed a 9 man break within the first 10km, before you turn right to Fisantekraal and stayed away to the end. 

If the people in the break are willing to role there is always that slight chance of surviving. 

I started in the $ bunch. We formed a 9 man break within the first 10km, before you turn right to Fisantekraal and stayed away to the end.

If the people in the break are willing to role there is always that slight chance of surviving.

Impressive, well done... "Almost impossible" maybe an exaggeration but breakaways like that something I have rarely seen in races around Paardeberg

Impressive, well done... "Almost impossible" maybe an exaggeration but breakaways like that something I have rarely seen in races around Paardeberg

Maybe we should plan for it in advance  ^_^. I'm sure there are enough strong guys on the hub keen to shake things up a bit v.s working in a bunch to get wheel sucked and out sprinted.

We could do one training ride and get to know each other. Then make a team and come up with a strategy for next race v.s just leaving it up to fate and letting the cards fall where they may. Even just a 5 minute meet and greet and co-ordinated break - it will be pretty cool to bringing a new dynamic to these races  :clap:

I've joined a club, but at the moment the guys are all over for DC, for the PPA race where we had enough club guys - we killed it, 6 minutes off the winner starting from C.

Edited by MDJ

Maybe we should plan for it in advance ^_^. I'm sure there are enough strong guys on the hub keen to shake things up a bit v.s working in a bunch to get wheel sucked and out sprinted.

We could do one training ride and get to know each other. Then make a team and come up with a strategy for next race v.s just leaving it up to fate and letting the cards fall where they may. Even just a 5 minute meet and greet and co-ordinated break - it will be pretty cool to bringing a new dynamic to these races :clap:

I've joined a club, but at the moment the guys are all over for DC, for the PPA race where we had enough club guys - we killed it, 6 minutes off the winner starting from C.

Sounds familiar.

Seedings updated...

Winning time reduced by 10 minutes and beta of .92

If my quick calcs are correct it means no one outside $ will get an A seeding.

The Savage Train rode themselves into B batch with their heroics

and all us wheel suckers in % earned ourselves a C seeding

I understand the stats on why they adjust the winning time ... but it still *feels* wrong when they do that  :wacko: