Bass fishing around Cape Town

mulmi

My son got us "hooked" on bass fishing.  I have tried for hours and are yet to catch one.  But it seems like my wife is getting into it a bit now also.

Where would you guys recommend us to go for a a good chance at success? 

I was thinking Theewaterskloof, but we do not have a boat. Only a Ark Inflatable Kayak.

I like bass fishing on fly, way more interesting and often easier to get your lure in place.

Its good fun either way though. Never really felt the need to fish from a boat but then again I dont like fishing really big dams for bass, prefer the smaller ones.

And please dont use spinners! those treble hooks always hurt the fish that get released and more often than not result in injuries that kill them.

Bulshoek and Clanwilliam dams are still good from what I hear.

Theewaterskloof used to be good but barbel messed it up. Worth a try?

Breede River between Worcester and Robertson used to be good for Smallmouth, but barbel messed that up. Worth giving it a try?

I'm not a bass expert at all, so mostly hearsay. 

Bulshoek and Clanwilliam dams are still good from what I hear.

Theewaterskloof used to be good but barbel messed it up. Worth a try?

Breede River between Worcester and Robertson used to be good for Smallmouth, but barbel messed that up. Worth giving it a try?

I'm not a bass expert at all, so mostly hearsay. 

Barbel? is that the common BARBER?

spinners or any artificial are great, you can always change the hooks to singles

And please dont use spinners! those treble hooks always hurt the fish that get released and more often than not result in injuries that kill them.

• 1 year later...

Help, my eldest loves fishing, at the moment I just have 3m of line a hook line and sinker. 

I have no clue what rod a kid would need etc, they have random stuff on holiday but not able to get it before this weekend.

Anybody have any suggestions. He is 5 and wants to catch a fish that is like 15cm.

Help, my eldest loves fishing, at the moment I just have 3m of line a hook line and sinker. 

I have no clue what rod a kid would need etc, they have random stuff on holiday but not able to get it before this weekend.

Anybody have any suggestions. He is 5 and wants to catch a fish that is like 15cm.

Check sportsman warehouse. They have some rod and reel combos.

Where you planning on fishing?

No need to travel far...was cycling back from town a few days back and came across a guy in Lower Main Rd carry gear and a carp the length of his thigh!!!! Liesbeeck River! Sorry I didn't take a pic, was just too flabbergasted!

No need to travel far...was cycling back from town a few days back and came across a guy in Lower Main Rd carry gear and a carp the length of his thigh!!!! Liesbeeck River! Sorry I didn't take a pic, was just too flabbergasted!

What bait do they use for carb or bass?