Indoor trainer or spinning bike

Natie S

I would rather look at an ipad with the lightning pin. Pay a bit more now and also get the 30 pin to lightning adapter.

Ipad 2 is pretty old, and I'm sure will soon no longer be supported by Apple. And then it becomes less useful as they won't update the iOS for it, and subsequently app support from developers will dwindle (my apple mini 1 is in this category)

Make sure you buy a 30 pin Ipad, its the wide charging port which will take a 30 pin Ant+ Wahoo dongle. If you get the Ipad with the new lightning connector then you need to get the 30pin to Lightning adapter which Apple don't make anymore and the aftermarket ones don't work other than for charging.

Failing that you could use a later Ipad with Bluetooth connection, but then your SPD / CAD sensor and HR strap must be Blueteeth as well, or it won't connect to the TR app

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ SIRMOUN

I tend to agree, but every adapter i tried on the new Ipad doesn't work, both genuine apple and the aftermarket ones - they charge but don't transmit data with the ANT+ dongle.

AFAIK Wahoo don't make a lightning dongle, only 30 pin and USB. In fact i never seen any ANT+ dongle that is for Apple Lightning plug from any manufacturer.

I suppose Gen 2 ipad's are obsolete a new solution will need to by found

How about joining a gym/wattbike studio and doing the spinning classes? I go to spinning classes and I enjoy the structured aspect of it rather than pounding away in my lounge in front of the TV. We get heart rate monitors so you can monitor your efforts.

3 spinning classes a week have made a notable difference to my fitness in just 3 months

I was a member the gym but their times schedule is the problem. I want to be able to hop on when i get time. The convenience of doing it at home is also a big advantage because i have a 8 month old baby.

once you get into something like Zwift or Rouvy, you will be hooked, I have a Spinning bike with speed and cadence sensors and since I got a Kickr, I haven't touched the spinning bike, structured workouts with proper power figures will transform your fitness. I am all for a Proper smart trainer, stretch you budget and look at second hand smart trainers.

It does make sense but at this stage I can’t get the cash for that. Cycle labs got a great special atm with the kicker snap and cadence sensor for under R7k. But then a few hidden costs again. Another wheel with a slick on and a cassette. I only started mtb about 6 months ago and been out for 7 weeks with a fractured elbow. Ill rather save the extra money to buy a proper bike.

7afab83baa7ba2c7765e867b7a37234e.jpg

From what I have been reading, you dont even need a smart trainer for zwift. Can use a dumb trainer and a speed sensor. so just get a cheapy second hand trainer or rollers and an ant+ adaptor for your laptop and you good to go. its nowhere near the same effect as having say a Tacx Neo2 or a Kickr but it gets you up and running at least.

That sounds great. Ill look into it. Maybe i can just add a speed sensor to a spinning bike to start with.

I was a member the gym but their times schedule is the problem. I want to be able to hop on when i get time. The convenience of doing it at home is also a big advantage because i have a 8 month old baby.

if you decide on a spinning bike Do you have a heart rate monitor with your Garmin? With that you can work zones. I'm sure you'll be able to find programs to work on the spinning bike online?

Also maybe buy one 2nd hand? People usually buy them and they end up as clothes hangers

This

Just a quick calculation of what it will cost to change your training completely:

Dumb Trainer:R500

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/358557-ravx-tx3-magnetic-trainer/

Speed sensor(Does Bluetooth and Ant+ for your Garmin and for the Laptop to run training software:R880

https://www.takealot.com/wahoo-rpm-speed-sensor/PLID41546805?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkoDmBRCcARIsAG3xzl_uiKH339HldiH4dUR_8AEuCWmp4bAYnY4fJffj5_U6CgTOPLijkuMaAuKyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Once off Total: R1380.

You can add an indoor trainer tyre, but they cost close to the same as a normal tyre so just use the existing one and replace when done. Some might differ from me on this.

Montly(can be stopped at any time, 7 day trial for free):

Zwift:$15=R220(Still cheaper than gym or spinning classes per month)

(BETA verison for android is running smoothly on my Huawei P10Lite, so you don't even need a dedicated laptop or PC anymore)

If you can save up a little bit, get a power meter in the near future that you mount on your bike, like STAGES or 4iii. It will assist in outdoor training, training load management and race pacing. It replaces the speed sensor in terms of talking to the training software to relay your effort level.

Around R6000:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/284469-4iiii-shimano-road-mtb-power-meters/

That sounds good to get started. Thank you very much.

I do a lot of IDTing so here my budget setup

TACX Flow Electro Magnetic trainer like this

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/356931-tacx-flow-in-great-condition/

Gen 2 Ipad - you can get them cheap cheap

Ant+ 30 pin dongle

GARMIN speed Cad sensor from my edge 520

GARMIN HR strap from my edge 520

TACX tablet handle bar mount.

TACX Blue trainer tyre on a cheap spare road wheel

I signed up with Trainer Road = 99 USD per year.

I use Spotify free version with a collection of kick ass music through headphones to keep me in the zone

I use the virtual power with Trainer Road so no need for a power meter.

Works perfect.

One day when i'm big i'll get a smart trainer :ph34r:

This also sounds good. What’s the difference between the flow and snap?

if you decide on a spinning bike Do you have a heart rate monitor with your Garmin? With that you can work zones. I'm sure you'll be able to find programs to work on the spinning bike online?

Also maybe buy one 2nd hand? People usually buy them and they end up as clothes hangers

Hi

Yes i do have a hr monitor and i can also put a speed sensor on from garmin.

That sounds great. Ill look into it. Maybe i can just add a speed sensor to a spinning bike to start with.

Trouble with that is that I think they don't have spinning bikes characterised on Zwift yet for a given speed. Plus you can change the resistance on a spinning bike and Zwift will be none the wiser that you are now working harder or softer than he thinks.

Check the Zwift websites for the list of dumb trainers that they have resistance curves already before you shop.

Like someone else mentioned, the Indoor Tyre on a cheap extra wheel is very handy, makes the changeover to the trainer fairly painless. Saw a full 29er wheel with tyre in the classifieds for R250 last week.

Trouble with that is that I think they don't have spinning bikes characterised on Zwift yet for a given speed. Plus you can change the resistance on a spinning bike and Zwift will be none the wiser that you are now working harder or softer than he thinks.

Check the Zwift websites for the list of dumb trainers that they have resistance curves already before you shop.

Like someone else mentioned, the Indoor Tyre on a cheap extra wheel is very handy, makes the changeover to the trainer fairly painless. Saw a full 29er wheel with tyre in the classifieds for R250 last week.

Thanks a lot. I’ll definitely look into it. And if i get the ant dongle on an ipad my garmin will pair with it? I have both the old ipad with the big plug and also a new one.

Hi

Sorry to bother. But are these the same units and will work? 466f54a33cc80d921663b32f8d746152.jpgee8de50ad43148f2844cdbb505a42ab4.jpg

For those that don't know Nsquared has a deal where you can pay off an Elite trainer not sure if Zwift is included its worth a look

Edited by DjCyclist

Hi

Sorry to bother. But are these the same units and will work? 466f54a33cc80d921663b32f8d746152.jpgee8de50ad43148f2844cdbb505a42ab4.jpg

They are not the same unit.

This unit in the classifieds does not transmit any information to other devices, it has a computer that you mount on the handlebar which gives you all the parameters like Cadence, Power etc.

You can put in the power you want to train at and I believe it has workouts that it can run, but remember this unit was developed before 2010, things have moved along allot since then.

If you are going to spend the money I would rather go the Zwift/Sufferfest/etc route, even if it is with a cheap-and-nasty initial setup which you then upgrade as time moves along.

If you can give some sort of indication of where you are located I am sure the people on here will be more than willing to show you their Pain Caves or lend you a Dumb-Trainer and Speed-sensor to run the 7day Zwift trial on your Android phone, which will mean you don't even need to give out a cent to see what all the fuss is about.