Giant anthem advanced 0 2016

Kai Baird

So, I can only speak for myself, and this is a topic which I have been torn about for quite some time, and in all honesty I have now been split on again.

I am a short guy (1.68m) and I struggled with a 29er when it got very technical, I found the wide bars and bigger turning circle a little bit unweildly when it got tight, I also "nutted" myself a few times if trying to unclip in a bit of a hurry if caught unawares or in a spot of bother. I therefore decided to get a 650b, so I bought a Giant Anthem Advanced 1 which has been an absolutely AMAZING bike, and one of the best I've owned.

However! I think that for multiday stuff or races such as Karoo 2 Coast and routes where there isn't any/a lot of super technical stuff I would like a 29er for the bigger wheel size and any advantage that comes with that.

So, IMHO.. I think that in an ideal world one could have different weapons for different races/courses.

What do you perceive are the advantages of the 29er wheel?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can the anthem advanced 0 which the OP is talking about have the wheel set be upgraded to 29'?

Edited by slickjay007

Can the anthem advanced 0 wheel set be upgraded to 29'?

The frame can be adapted to fit 29er wheels yes.

change the fork and Lower rocker linkage to those from a 29er

I'd encourage you to give it a whirl and see how it feels.

the only draw backs I can see are

• reduced availability of a wide range of XC racing oriented 27.5 tyres
  • wheelsize classicism on the trails

Really appreciate your feedback! I'll definitely do so.

Roll more efficiently in what way and how is this measured?

Lovely Latin there dear fellow but if you do this you will realise that they get to the same point at the same time

Apply some of that thought you have to the problem, and see for yourself

Can the anthem advanced 0 which the OP is talking about have the wheel set be upgraded to 29'?

Probably could. Many 650b bikes come with the ability to change to 9ers. But that would mean dropping at least another 15-20 grand to get carbon rims.

The rims on the Anthem are carbon.

This is where you need to take your own advice

Roll more efficiently in what way and how is this measured?

Lovely Latin there dear fellow but if you do this you will realise that they get to the same point at the same time

We'll yes, YouTube reviews say that times are within a minute or two. That's very flipping close. ????????????

There are a lot of 9er fans around that haven't really been able to convince me of the major benefits of them. You guys have been a great help. Appreciate it okes.

This is where you need to take your own advice

LOL. Right, 'cos larger wheels don't have superior rollover characteristics, all things remaining equal. Got it. I see, now.  

/but yeah, you're right. I'll stop feeding you, now.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

To the OP, not sure if this helps - I'm an average rider more of the midpack marathon type- I had the 2016 anthem 29er and "upgraded" to the 2018 27.5 when giant decided this was the future

I was very grateful that I didn't sell the 2016 version.  Took a bath on the 100km old 27.5.  It was lovely bike but for my riding the 2016 version drilled it.  I'm 1.83 for what it's worth.

I have owned a number of 29er dualies and hardtails (like Stumpjumper HT, Highball cc, Tallboy 1 and 2, Element 990, Vertex 990, Spark and Scale etc) . I have also owned a number of 650b in both (XTC, Anthem advanced, Anthem SX, Reign advanced, Spark etc) so I have have a little experience on the wheel sizes.

The 650b accelerates better and is more lively /playful on the trails jumping from line to line flicking it around.

The 29er is climbs better especially on technically climbs because it is easier to bulldoze over things and with the same approach on the down it is faster.

Overall I am faster on my 29er than I ever was on the 650b but you lose a tiny bit of playful or learn how to get the 29er to play ball.

Op die einde van die dag albei moet getrap word so vat die 1 wat jou meer gaan laat ry.

PS. Emily seems to be the 650b crowd hero who else of the top pro xc men are on 650b?

I have owned a number of 29er dualies and hardtails (like Stumpjumper HT, Highball cc, Tallboy 1 and 2, Element 990, Vertex 990, Spark and Scale etc) . I have also owned a number of 650b in both (XTC, Anthem advanced, Anthem SX, Reign advanced, Spark etc) so I have have a little experience on the wheel sizes.

The 650b accelerates better and is more lively /playful on the trails jumping from line to line flicking it around.

The 29er is climbs better especially on technically climbs because it is easier to bulldoze over things and with the same approach on the down it is faster.

Overall I am faster on my 29er than I ever was on the 650b but you lose a tiny bit of playful or learn how to get the 29er to play ball.

Op die einde van die dag albei moet getrap word so vat die 1 wat jou meer gaan laat ry.

PS. Emily seems to be the 650b crowd hero who else of the top pro xc men are on 650b?

Its not about being the 650b hero but rather about being brave enoughto state that the 29er didn't work for her and push back to the sponsors that 650b is what does work for her. Her results have improved. 

Amongst the men there isn't anyone in the top 10 racing on a 650b anylonger but lets not forget that until two years ago Nino Schurter was cleaning up on a 650b.

Its not about being the 650b hero but rather about being brave enoughto state that the 29er didn't work for her and push back to the sponsors that 650b is what does work for her. Her results have improved. 

Amongst the men there isn't anyone in the top 10 racing on a 650b anylonger but lets not forget that until two years ago Nino Schurter was cleaning up on a 650b.

I think you miss understood what I meant. Every time there is a wheel size debate the 650b fans always use her as their example.

Yes for marketing Nino was on a 650b but the whole bike was custom built even the geometry was different from the "shop" bikes.

I am not against 650b as said in the right place they are awesome fun more playful than 29er but on long xc rides there is no denying that the 29er is better.

LOL. Right, 'cos larger wheels don't have superior rollover characteristics, all things remaining equal. Got it. I see, now.  

/but yeah, you're right. I'll stop feeding you, now.

People do continue to feed him, and even after two forced changes of identity on here he can't seem to control his nature...

I think you miss understood what I meant. Every time there is a wheel size debate the 650b fans always use her as their example.

Yes for marketing Nino was on a 650b but the whole bike was custom built even the geometry was different from the "shop" bikes.

I am not against 650b as said in the right place they are awesome fun more playful than 29er but on long xc rides there is no denying that the 29er is better.

EB is 1.61m in height. i.e. really short. A 29" bike would have really compromised setup to make it work for her. so using her to support 27.5" bikes is silly.

Even on her current bike, her saddle is slammed way forward and her bars are on a extreme negative stem

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnTi0KthhIK/

Nino resisted 29'ers until they could adjust the whole bike's geometry to suit him - that led to the current Spark design.

And his custom crazy bar/stem combo...

EB is 1.61m in height. i.e. really short. A 29" bike would have really compromised setup to make it work for her. so using her to support 27.5" bikes is silly.

Even on her current bike, her saddle is slammed way forward and her bars are on a extreme negative stem

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnTi0KthhIK/

Nino resisted 29'ers until they could adjust the whole bike's geometry to suit him - that led to the current Spark design.

And his custom crazy bar/stem combo...

Yup.