Buying a Frame set

daniemare

Hi

I need some help / pointers on how to go about buying a frame set.

(This is not a thread about buy vs build)

I have been eyeing a Canyon Endurace CF SL frame set. But for 2019, they now only have the CF SLX available as a frame set, and that is significantly more expensive.

Looking at some of the brands locally, those of them that offer frame set only options only offer them in their top carbon spec (S-Works, BMC 01, etc.)

Is it at all possible, and how, to buy second tier frame sets?

Thanks

Your choices are always going to be more limited if you’re going to buy the frame only. Not only in SA, but also internationally. So if you really want to go that route, it would probably help if you were a little less exacting as to what you want. Canyon doesn’t do the Endurace SL as a frameset only option - but they do the Ultimate SL as a frameset only option.

Otherwise you’ll need to look around (maybe Bike24.com - that would probably be my best call).

Or you could just find something second hand - there are plenty Swift Ultravox TI frames in the Classifieds - that is an amazing frame, and you could pick one up at a pretty good price.

Canyon doesn’t do the Endurace SL as a frameset only option - but they do the Ultimate SL as a frameset only option.

Nope. Even in Ultimate - only SLX level now available as framesets

TREK has some great deals on frames at the moment :thumbup:

Thats one brand that realy doesnt get me going...

I have just gotten the new Swift Ultravox - Amazing !!! Caliper Frameset around 22 and disc frameset about 26 - they also have the Attack ( endurance frame) and it is cheaper than the Ultravox

Edited by love the ride

Hi

I have been eyeing a Canyon Endurace CF SL frame set. But for 2019, they now only have the CF SLX available as a frame set, and that is significantly more expensive.

Looking at some of the brands locally, those of them that offer frame set only options only offer them in their top carbon spec (S-Works, BMC 01, etc.)

Thanks

Are you considering disc bike frames? I bought a new frame last year (rim brake option) and regret not opting for the disc option, especially if you love fast descending. I melted the brake track on my front carbon rim on a fast descent at Suikerbos.

Edited by riteshm

I have just gotten the new Swift Ultravox - Amazing !!! Caliper Frameset around 22 and disc frameset about 26 - they also have the Attack ( endurance frame) and it is cheaper than the Ultravox

How was your experience with them ?

Never used to but their newer stuff is good.

It is really good. Most of the Aussies I work with are looking at Trek for their next bikes, it just doesnt evoke those feelings of desire for South Africans it seems.

it just doesnt evoke those feelings of desire for South Africans it seems.

And ironically one of the founders has SA roots with the very name TREK being an Afrikaans word for journey.

I would swing a leg over a Trek Slash any day. 

Hi

Thanks

Hi Danie. I am also in the market for a new frame but there are so many nice frames to choose from. I am in love with the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, just a pity if I go that route I need to pay additional taxes just to get it from that side to SA. Do you perhaps know of any place in SA who sell Canyon bikes?  I also had a look at Factor, but their prices are a bit steep. Specialized have good prices currently on their frames, just a pity I'm not yet up for disc brakes (Don't really know why) The tarmac and Roubaix(2019) are also nice frames.