Love and Hate relationship with Bike racks

nelian

Trying to get some feedback on what you hate about bike racks and what you love?

I have a Geoff and Thule rack... Geoff connects onto Towbar, and Thule clips onto the hatchback... Been looking at different options..

Hate -

Damages bike frame..

Mission to put on...

Security (Both Dont lock)

Love

Carries my best friend (MTB)

Your thoughts? Is there even a perfect rack (and NO... Not discussing her :)) What would you consider a perfect rack?

If I can fit the bike inside my vehicle, even if it means I need to remove both wheels, I put it inside. The issues arising from the bike rack are just too many.

-Bike can easily be stolen if you stop for a Coffee Break on the way to the event or back

-Extra dust and grit onto the drivetrain when riding on the rack

-Rack on a Sedan means you need to keep speedbumps in mind, I have had my bicycle wheels clip the top of a speedbump at least once, luckily no major damage.

If it can't fit inside, then I concede and put it on the bike rack

I would say the Thule Proride on the roof. Can carry 4 bikes no problem without them touching each other. Quite expensive though

I would say the Thule Proride on the roof. Can carry 4 bikes no problem without them touching each other. Quite expensive though

I must say, I like the roof rack, as it doesn't have to be removed... I always worry about the bike getting clipped by the garage :)

I also prefer the Proride system.  TWO issues though ... increased fuel consumption and you need to be alert for low entries ....  Our current vehicle does not have roof rails, so I have gone back to the Thuli platform rack.

Platform rack - EASIEST to use !   But you need space for this in the garage .... fine dust on the bikes if you ride dusty roads.  

Our next vehicle will most likely be chosen such that we can fit the bikes inside .... ease of use, and most importantly keeping all the little parts away from prying hands ....

I also prefer the Proride system.  TWO issues though ... increased fuel consumption and you need to be alert for low entries ....  Our current vehicle does not have roof rails, so I have gone back to the Thuli platform rack.

Thule make roof rails for most cars, is that not an option ?

I dont find the racks a mission to put on. Back in the day where the only option available was a bolt on, that was a mission.

The only time I've had bike frame damage is when I've been careless. But then I've never had anything expensive and new worth preserving so did not mind some character lines on the frame.

Thule make roof rails for most cars, is that not an option ?

Yes, it is an option.  But for my current car it would require the foot-pack that clamps around the roof, and under the door rubber ....  :eek:   

For our normal use I would then rather use the platform rack ...  If I did more long distances on gravel I would certainly go for the roof mounted option !!

I got some Thule roof racks and a pro ride, and I really recommend it, super stable, it locks so your bike is safe (kinda) easy to put your bike on and best of all, haven’t got once scratch from on my bike from it! , and as someone mentioned you can fit up to 4 proride/freerides on your racks.

Does create some drag when driving but nothing much, I have a 1.2L car and I manage fine . Only downside is its missions to take on and off so you will end up leaving t on, also making it a little more difficult to wash the car, but totally worth it!

I have had Thule ride on rack , which is stable but your bikes get scratched so badly! Even if you put them on with caution you will manage to scratch it somehow! Otherwise also pretty decent.

I have also had a Thule clip on for hatch back! This is the worst in my opinion , gave my car a nasty dent from where the clip attaches , also blocks your back window and on bumpy gravel roads it bounces a bit!

I got some Thule roof racks and a pro ride, and I really recommend it, super stable, it locks so your bike is safe (kinda) easy to put your bike on and best of all, haven’t got once scratch from on my bike from it! , and as someone mentioned you can fit up to 4 proride/freerides on your racks.

Does create some drag when driving but nothing much, I have a 1.2L car and I manage fine . Only downside is its missions to take on and off so you will end up leaving t on, also making it a little more difficult to wash the car, but totally worth it!

I have had Thule ride on rack , which is stable but your bikes get scratched so badly! Even if you put them on with caution you will manage to scratch it somehow! Otherwise also pretty decent.

I have also had a Thule clip on for hatch back! This is the worst in my opinion , gave my car a nasty dent from where the clip attaches , also blocks your back window and on bumpy gravel roads it bounces a bit!

careful with the roof racks. Thule supply a tool rated to 2nm to tighten them, but I've seen a car with 4 nasty little dents in the roof where the rack was sitting because it was over-tightened. 

Yes, it is an option.  But for my current car it would require the foot-pack that clamps around the roof, and under the door rubber ....  :eek:   

For our normal use I would then rather use the platform rack ...  If I did more long distances on gravel I would certainly go for the roof mounted option !!

I have this and my buddy has this this as well. Been using it for over a year. Took the roof rails off the other day and no marks on the body work and the door rubbers sit like they're meant to.

I have this and my buddy has this this as well. Been using it for over a year. Took the roof rails off the other day and no marks on the body work and the door rubbers sit like they're meant to.

had them on my previous company car. other than dirt collecting under the "feet pads" and the slight increase in fuel consumption, no other issues.

Probably nothing is perfect but in my experience the Thule platform rack that goes on the tow bar is the best of the lot. I have roofrack amounts as well but I don't use them because only too often there are low hanging trees, entrances and the like and it is just too easy after a long drive when you are tired to make a mistake which can wreck your whole event before its even startednot to mention the loss arising out of the damage.

We've got the Thule Hang on 3. I posted a thread about securing the bikes so that they didn't rub and scratch. I've managed to make the bikes stable and am happy enough with the rack so far. 

In the process of getting a new car myself, and plan to stick to the rack, but might just look at the roof rack options too.