Shimano XT M8000 or Sram Level tl

nandosguy

Hi guys, I'm buying a new bike and selling my current one, the new bike (second hand New) has sram level Tl brakes, I was thinking of swapping them with my XT brakes before I sell my old bike, is it worth it or are the Srams good brakes? I used to have sram xx carbon brakes and they were noisy and horrible. Also I'm quite a big guy and I like the stopping power on the XTs. Thoughts? Cheers

Xt are better when the Bush the levers run on in the levels start to wear they become awful

Xt's are always quite consistent

Cura, end of story. I know it doesn’t solve your problem now, but aim at it. I had Sram brakes and it was not good for me, then upgraded to XT, much better, have recently upgraded to Formula Cura as I was tired of the issues I was having with my XT’s and it was a revalation!

I have no experience with the newer SRAM brakes, was still in the Avid days, but XT was better, but modulation was not so good, Shimano are on or off brakes where Curas are degrees of on or off

Cura, end of story. I know it doesn’t solve your problem now, but aim at it. I had Sram brakes and it was not good for me, then upgraded to XT, much better, have recently upgraded to Formula Cura as I was tired of the issues I was having with my XT’s and it was a revalation!

I have no experience with the newer SRAM brakes, was still in the Avid days, but XT was better, but modulation was not so good, Shimano are on or off brakes where Curas are degrees of on or off

I was also going to say Cura, but then saw the OP already has the two sets of brakes... XT has it's issues, but they are not bad brakes - actual performance is good, it's just the modulation and constant bleeding that annoys me.

New bike came fitted with XT M8000. Current bike has Magura MT6 Next. I am very disappointed in the XT’s.

To your question, here it is probably better using the XT’s.

Cool so XT for now it is. I was thinking if and when I change them I might try Hope stoppers.....?

Cool so XT for now it is. I was thinking if and when I change them I might try Hope stoppers.....?

If money is no object then Hope, if you want a slightly more affordable option then Formula Cura. I've gone on enough on the Hub about how good they are so I won't get into detail again. But in short - they are premium level stoppers at mid level price.

+1 for the Level TL, my set are 2 yrs in and they don't suffer from the bushing problems like the old elixirs did. I also like the modulation compared to the shimano's all or nothing.

My Trek Top Fuel 2018 came with SRAM Level TLMs. They were absolute rubbish IMHO. They were spongy*, required a lot of lever force and squealed like a pig at breakfast. Oh, and they also use automotive brake fluid and are a PITA to bleed. I replaced them with XT 8000s. No comparison IMHO and weight differences are fractional.

*Some guys pefer the SRAM modulation (sponginess) and don't like the definite "bite point" of the Shimanos. I far prefer the latter.

Edited by MudLark

My Trek Top Fuel 2018 came with SRAM Level TLMs. They were absolute rubbish IMHO. They were spongy*, required a lot of lever force and squealed like a pig at breakfast. Oh, and they also use automotive brake fluid and are a PITA to bleed. I replaced them with XT 8000s. No comparison IMHO and weight differences are fractional.

*Some guys pefer the SRAM modulation (sponginess) and don't like the definite "bite point" of the Shimanos. I far prefer the latter.

I'm not sure which brake you prefer as it seems you love and hate both

I'm not sure which brake you prefer as it seems you love and hate both

Hm? No. If it's not clear from my post, I hate the SRAM. That's why I replaced them. IMHO, they're rubbish. But I can understand that others may feel otherwise.