Race to Rhodes – the race that loses its young. More musings from a novice.

Carlog

Carlo I LOVE this. So well written.  And my boy gets a mention...super proud of him (and his dad too)

I'm so pleased I got to meet you at the finish.  One thing that is clear is that, although it's your first FC event, I know it won't be your last.  You are clearly an addict.

Most notably, on your arrival was your mood - happy to be finished, proud of your efforts (even though your goals had not been met exactly to your high standards) and in good spirits even after your night out in your "crinkly".  Lehana's might have just beaten you this time but certainly hasn't seen the last of you.....

It was an amazing effort - for anyone, let alone a rookie.  Congratulations!  

I look forward to watching your dots in the near future!

If it was easy it woudn't be worth doing. replace with Epic/ironman/comrades etc..except this one has a human interaction that you can't recreate anywhere else.

My comment is a tad tongue in cheek with a huge dose of admiration and sprinkled with jealousy, for if I had the time....

Wow! Thank you for the excellent narrative. Really enjoyed reading it!

Well done on your achievement.

Look forward to reading about the next one :)

Hey Eddy - good observation. All the rules I’ve seen, incl the munga have some sort of race directors discretion for when you do break the rule - I.e. you don’t enter the course where you left it. The RD will look at whether your breaking the rule gave you a advantage in some way or was willful. Given that we were didn’t do it intentionally, were lost, took longer,climbed more and rode further I think the RD would have waived a time penalty. We would have broken the rule though.

Great story, wonderfully told. But surely not for fun? What is it that drives Saffers to do these silly things? Is there a kind of "I grew up in a paper bag" mentality that cyclists need in order to enjoy respect in the pelaton?

This genuinely was fun. Sure being cold is not fun at the movement - but whether you complain about it or crack a joke is entirely up to you. Finding the positive in all the hardship is a common trait among these endurance guys. The sheer lunacy of some of the circumstances can only make you smile and laugh - and then push on.

Thanks for the thanks, folks. If my retelling can inspire one person to push themselves out of their comfort zone and be amazed at what they’re capable of with preparation and focus then I will have paid it forward. Aside from that I’d also like my grandkids to think I’m cool.

It was an amazing effort - for anyone, let alone a rookie.  Congratulations!  

I look forward to watching your dots in the near future!

Hey Sue!! Very hard to be grumpy when you’re given the welcome that you and the rest of the supported give to riders coming in. The coolest things was when a rider came in at about 7pm and the entire lodge walked outside to clap him in. He nearly turned around thinking he was being mugged.

I enjoy reading your write-ups whilst at the office - gives me some more motivation to push myself slightly harder, not "Race to Rhodes", "Munga" or even "36one" hard but just hard enough to get to the next pit stop. Thank you for that and I look forward to the next one

Lekker one Carlog - and let the 'Musings of a Novice' continue - your previous musings inspired me to enter Alex's crazy ride from Bloem this coming Nov, and maybe, just maybe, there's a RTR in the future.....lekker writeup - loved it  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Very Good piece of writing, and well done on your achievement, I keep thinking i am getting too old to do this stuff and then i read something like this! Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing your experience

Lekker one Carlog - and let the 'Musings of a Novice' continue - your previous musings inspired me to enter Alex's crazy ride from Bloem this coming Nov, and maybe, just maybe, there's a RTR in the future.....lekker writeup - loved it  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Now THAT is worth writing for.  I'll see you in November - gonna have another bash at The Munga

Very Good piece of writing, and well done on your achievement, I keep thinking i am getting too old to do this stuff and then i read something like this! Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing your experience

Great to hear!  I recall reading that the ave age in the RTR was 52!  And the oldest in the the full 2300km version was 70 this year.