MTB sizing advice/debate

Bru1991

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And my bike doesn't look small when I sit on the saddle.

He's a big Bru

Keep in mind, I don't ride a Scott.

Ok well then what do you ride that puts you on the cusp of your bike manufacturers szie range?

Point is you're advocating sizing down in the size range i.e. if on the cusp, size down.

For Bru's Scott its the same.  So whats make your situation different ?

As an additional thought, your best option is really to take the bike and go see a really good bike fitter* and see whether they can sort you out properly. 

*There are lots of bike fitters out there but I have discovered to my cost that not all of them really know what they are doing. A lot of them "just work by the rules" and hope for the best kind of thing. Really good fitters are almost as much art as science. But even then, remember that a really good bike fitment is in a sense only the beginning. You will need to do finer adjustments yourself over time to get yourself to where you are really comfortable and can put down the power best in a way that works for you.

VERY true !!

I true bike-fit spends the first 30 minutes determining the riders expectations, preferences, limitations, etc etc ...

Only then do you get on the bike and start setting up "according to the rules" - for that person and their type of riding !  

And your true bike fitters want feedback after a few rides, then again in a month or two, and yet again after a year ....  First follow ups typically included in the initial fee.

I truly believe in IRMA !!  She has made such a big difference to how experience my riding, and no more "twitches" and issues after longer and/or harder rides.

In fact, seeing her again in a few days.

Never fully trust the guy at your LBS but rather become the master yourself to understand how to size and fit your own bikes.    I am 1.81 and visited a Bike shop a while back to look at some road bikes, one model specific, and the only size on the floor was a Medium.   Based on the salesman the Medium was the perfect size for me with a nice discount thrown into the deal as well.   I have sized myself based on previous rides and their reach and tube sizes and know that a Large is the best frame size for me for this specific bike -

The salesman however had some very special skill / gift whereby he could just by looking at me for 30 seconds size me up perfectly? - no I don't think so.   I am very sure that if the size on the floor was a Large he would have made different calculations to fit me on it?   

Never fully trust the guy at your LBS but rather become the master yourself to understand how to size and fit your own bikes.    I am 1.81 and visited a Bike shop a while back to look at some road bikes, one model specific, and the only size on the floor was a Medium.   Based on the salesman the Medium was the perfect size for me with a nice discount thrown into the deal as well.   I have sized myself based on previous rides and their reach and tube sizes and know that a Large is the best frame size for me for this specific bike -

The salesman however had some very special skill / gift whereby he could just by looking at me for 30 seconds size me up perfectly? - no I don't think so.   I am very sure that if the size on the floor was a Large he would have made different calculations to fit me on it?   

Sounds like you came all the way down to Paarl to buy your bike from an ex-professional cyclist, and owner of a francised store  ..... strange how that one model that he has in stock is the EXACT size for YOU !!  :thumbdown:

that was some serious school fees I paid on that one ...  :cursing:  :cursing:

VERY true !!

I true bike-fit spends the first 30 minutes determining the riders expectations, preferences, limitations, etc etc ...

Only then do you get on the bike and start setting up "according to the rules" - for that person and their type of riding !

And your true bike fitters want feedback after a few rides, then again in a month or two, and yet again after a year .... First follow ups typically included in the initial fee.

I truly believe in IRMA !! She has made such a big difference to how experience my riding, and no more "twitches" and issues after longer and/or harder rides.

In fact, seeing her again in a few days.

Chris, where does one find Irma? URL or contact details please.

take it from someone that has struggled with bike fit all his life....that frame is too small for you unfortunately.  i'm 197cm/83kg and i only always get to shop if there is at least one X in front of the L when it comes to sizing. I'm very limited in terms of choice when it comes to brands since not all sizes are created equal unfortunately.

There is of course something to be said for sizing down in terms of manoeuvrability and playfulness but a XC bike is not that bike imo.

Scott bikes are smaller than other brands in my experience of trying them in stores. They don't make a bike in my range according to their website sizing guide for example either. if THAT is their medium i'm with these guys that you could defo try the L or even the XL. i'm also of the opinion (as already mentioned above) that you look like you might be pedalling heel up and have gotten used to it and that is why you cranked the saddle up again.

edit:

line up your crank arm with the effective line of your seat tube (red) and place your foot on it (bottom of the stroke) if your seat height is close to being right you will have a slight bend in your knee and your foot will be very close to being horizontal. 

post-64325-0-12202200-1562996210_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Go and get an actual bike fit - preferably one where they do dynamic measurement. That will solve your problems once and for all.

It always boggles my mind how people will spend huge cash on a bicycle but struggle to part with (relatively) small money to make sure they're spending the huge cash wisely.

The right way to purchase a bike is:

1) Get a bike fitting.

2) Use the results of the bike fitting to find a bike that fits YOU - not the other way around. The results of the bike fitting will also help with finding geometry that suits you.

3) Buy the bicycle.

4) Go back to the fitter to get your new bike dialled in (any decent bike fitter will include a follow up meeting/call).

Yes - I am a bike fitter :-)

No - I am not in South Africa so I can claim neutrality in this debate as I have no financial incentive :-)

Some seat of the pants feedback...

The saddle/bar drop seems too big. Not ncessarily bad if you're making huge power and are really flexible though...

The bike looks too small in Pic 1.

The seat looks too high in Pic 2.

Does the bike have a zero offset seat pillar? The bike looks a little cramped. If the saddle was lowered and set a bit further back the fit would "look" better.

*It's nearly impossible to give reasonable advice using 3 still pics...

Edited by Eldron

Go and get an actual bike fit - preferably one where they do dynamic measurement. That will solve your problems once and for all.

It always boggles my mind how people will spend huge cash on a bicycle but struggle to part with (relatively) small money to make sure they're spending the huge cash wisely.

snip

this beeing said....bike shops have been more eagerly trying to flog "bike fits" in recent times in my experience.It's like  they have wised up to people being told it is ALWAYS a bike fit issue ...and they know just how to sell stuff to sheeple.

I recently had an experience at one of the spaz bike shops like this. I have med-high foot arches and recently got a new pair of spaz comp mtb shoes. i have been experiencing some tingling/numbness after about 2 hours or so in the saddle in my right foot. I know I usually need some sort of insole support in any of my shoes but i just tried them first to see. So i went there to get a pair of higher insoles and the first thing was - you need a bike fit. :lol:

My new insoles solved my problems for what it's worth. :P

I suspect this is exactly what happened to me, now I've learned.

So Bru the question now is what to do?    1st prize would be to get you comfortable on your existing M Scott (Comfortable both physically, mentally and emotionally   :rolleyes: )

Saddle set backwards if possible, Reverse your stem, Lower Saddle post slightly ???

My thinking is if you managed to ride the bike thus far without extreme discomfort and pain, you could probably still ride it for some time to come without having to buy a new one? 

Edited by Ashchest

Oky

Feedback is what I wanted and feedback is what I got.

So plan of action on my part:

I have already booked my bike set-up ( someone professional ) for next month.

Will advise changes and or post fitment photo's.

Thanks everyone for the input, it has helped me and maybe it would answer other questions people had as well.

See you out on the trails with my mini-Scott. :clap: