Newbie need assistance

Marius26

To add to DJR, be aware of "bike fit", as in the size and how it is set up for the rider.

When you start out you are most likely a "ridged stick man figure" (compared to the supple young racers).  So your setup will be "shorter" and more "up right", bending too far forward too soon may cause some stretched shoulder and neck muscles ....

then as you get fitter, doing longer distances and pushing harder, you may well start getting "weird" issues ... time to get a proper bike fit done.  THIS, allowed me to double my distances, with no more aches and pains !!  :thumbup:

And as the months and miles tick by you will get more supple and the bike fit can be tweaked again .....  

For NOW - dont stress about this !!  :whistling:   Your body will tell you when it is time to have the "fit" checked ....  In the Western Cape I would recoomend you go see Irma at IrmFit  - https://www.facebook.com/Irmaflex/

Edited by ChrisF

And as the months and miles tick by you will get more supple and the bike fit can be tweaked again .....  

As your stomach shrinks you will be able to lean forward more and more.   :D

- Last night I adjusted my saddle another 1cm higher because when I went for a ride yesterday I could feel that there is now more space available for movement.   According to calculations and inseam I am supposed to go with a 92cm 6o'clock pedal to seat top length so there is still room for another 3cm hight adjustment as my stomach gets smaller.

As your stomach shrinks you will be able to lean forward more and more.   :D..................

Aaaah, so THAT'S why I seem to have to go more upright......not because I'm getting older! :D

I was gifted an old steel frame BSO (Bicycle Shaped Object) back in 2013, which led to me acquiring a new hardtail and starting on the journey of riding a bicycle properly for the first time since the early 90's.

I am now on a full suspension trail monster and hitting the odd downhill line. Where did it start? By just getting out and riding. As ChrisF said, at first it was 2km at a time, which quickly became 10, and then 20, and then 30, and then 65. I now ride average 200 odd km per week during the summer, and can do a ride in excess of 100km comfortably.

The thing is to start of slow, but steady. Get that HR monitor at least, and ride within your comfort zones at first, slowly building up endurance. The rest will come naturally.

Before you know it, you will be splurging on more and more bike stuff, newer, better gear, and entering more races, on varied terrain, and meet a bunch of great people, including the odd lunatic such as myself.

Enjoy the ride, both literally and figuratively speaking.

Thanks Robbie. I went riding with the wife this morning in the Nature reserve and without taking strain or thinking much about the riding but just enjoying the ride, we did 4.5km without any effort at all, it was really stunning and the words everybody has conveyed in their posts kept running through my mind..."Just enjoy the ride, the rest will come by itself". Great advise Guys. Your input has changed my mind set on accomplishing the impossible in the shortest period of time to a relaxed ride and I am now wanting to ride more and more...Love it

Again, thanks to all

My 2c is this: getting hung up on programs, fitness, equipment and all that in the beginning is a waste of time as a newbie.

Just hop on and get out and ride to find the enjoyment of cycling and just being out and about, getting a sweat on and taking in all the scenery.

It wont take long before you get the point of wanting to do it more and more and getting better and better at it.

Now that you've made the decision to get back into is the hardest part. The rest will come together as you go about it. It's all about just getting off the couch and out into the open enjoying the fresh air, scenery, and some exercise....it will progress naturally from there.

................ I went riding with the wife this morning ...............

I think riding with someone is a great motivator. It is so much easier to be lazy and sleep late when it is cold and miserable outside, but if you made a commitment to ride, you tend to get up and get going. Riding with your wife is fantastic.

Thanks Robbie. I went riding with the wife this morning in the Nature reserve and without taking strain or thinking much about the riding but just enjoying the ride, we did 4.5km without any effort at all, it was really stunning and the words everybody has conveyed in their posts kept running through my mind..."Just enjoy the ride, the rest will come by itself". Great advise Guys. Your input has changed my mind set on accomplishing the impossible in the shortest period of time to a relaxed ride and I am now wanting to ride more and more...Love it

Again, thanks to all

Great feedback, Marius. Thanks for that.

I am stoked for you and with you about the new adventure you and your wife can share. That is something very special, and long may it continue.

So, since you enjoy the experience of it, you will do it more often, and before you know it, you will be fitter than you have been in a looong time. Let it happen naturally, and you won't soon tire of riding.

My story is very similar the only things I did was ride my bike and start entering some of the local races. By entering even the short distances I always had something to ride for not just an amble around the block. It also helps when you have mates that are much better cyclists but have the patience to wait and coach as one progresses. 

My journey so far ...

Buy entey level bike for 7k and think its obscenely expensive.

Ride bike.

Enjoy it.

Ride further out along cycle path all the way to blouberg. Feel like a champion. Drink a coffee. Then suffer all the way home into south easter while hating bike.

Go on a group ride with Thor Buttox and his mates. Suffer terribly. Fall off.

Ride entry level races very slowly. Spend 5x the price of first car (82 corolla 1.3GL 5500 price tag) for proper mountain bike. Spend the same as that car on shoes because of arthritis in big toe and a mamil can't have enough shoes.

Ride a lot more.

Enter marathon level races and suffer horribly.

Buy road bike and pile on the miles. Suffer a bit less on marathon rides.

Survive existential crisis involving 36 degree heat, 30k to go and very steep district road.

Develop an interest in fashion... for the first time ever think about putting together an outfit for special occasions like argus and trailseeker.

Ride a hundred miler. Suffer a lot. Notice a sense of unease and a creeping irritability of a week goes by without suffering.

Fall on trail, have surgery and 12 weeks of recovery.

Get back on bike .....

Ride

Ride more

My journey so far ...

Buy entey level bike for 7k and think its obscenely expensive.

Ride bike.

Enjoy it.

Ride further out along cycle path all the way to blouberg. Feel like a champion. Drink a coffee. Then suffer all the way home into south easter while hating bike.

Go on a group ride with Thor Buttox and his mates. Suffer terribly. Fall off.

Ride entry level races very slowly. Spend 5x the price of first car (82 corolla 1.3GL 5500 price tag) for proper mountain bike. Spend the same as that car on shoes because of arthritis in big toe and a mamil can't have enough shoes.

Ride a lot more.

Enter marathon level races and suffer horribly.

Buy road bike and pile on the miles. Suffer a bit less on marathon rides.

Survive existential crisis involving 36 degree heat, 30k to go and very steep district road.

Develop an interest in fashion... for the first time ever think about putting together an outfit for special occasions like argus and trailseeker.

Ride a hundred miler. Suffer a lot. Notice a sense of unease and a creeping irritability of a week goes by without suffering.

Fall on trail, have surgery and 12 weeks of recovery.

Get back on bike .....

Ride

Ride more

My start was kind of similar.

Decide to start riding again after many years. Spend 30k on a mountain bike. Take first ride. Get home and damn near die in the garage, regretting the terrible mistake I’ve made physically and financially, and how I’m going to explain this mistake to my wife. This after ONLY 5kms.

Sulk for a week and decide to give it another go with lower expectations. Struggled through the 5ks a few more times. Then upped it slightly to 7, then 10, then 15 and then I stuck around 20 for a while, and then just started upping it more.

That all started last December. Now I’ve bought a road bike and average 40 to 50ks a day, Monday to Friday and longer on Saturday and Sunday.

It’s in no way easy, but the benefits outside and in come quickly and you’ll honestly feel better for it. I can guarantee that.

Marius,  I saw a helluva motivational sticker this week-end.

"Think about the first kilometer you have cycled, it is one kilometer more the person on the couch, and one kilometer closer to the reason why you started!"

:D At Mamil & Nicholas

I rode until varsity, then did other sports and only started riding again when my sons got their first bicycles and I found that it was impossible to run and keep up with a 5 year old on a bike. My knees, after many years of abuse, decided to send me some serious warnings at about the same time. Bought a brand new MTB for twice what my first car cost me. Was a piece of rubbish that lasted just long enough to get me hooked. Got a decent dual suspension and started adding the distance and tits. Before long did one day mtb races and got hooked on multi day races (thanks Beattbox). Jumps got progressively bigger and bigger until I fell off and broke a wrist.  Kept to the mountain until I got a last minute invite to ride the Argus. Rushed out to buy a roadbike because it was faster......bought a Litespeed (I kid you not)! More and longer races, both road and mountain. Blinked twice and the wife started moaning because there were 4 bikes in the stable. Because of that Litespeed, I was forever spoiled, so simply could never tolerate a cheap and nasty bike again! Crashed into a tree and became a real cyclist by breaking a collarbone. Decided to stay married and sold some bikes to keep the peace. Luckily the boys grew up fast and I could start buying more bikes "for them". Wife decided she could tolerate 12 bikes altogether, as long as I didn't count her shoes. I told her that Heyyou has 50+ bikes! Recon she thought it was still better than me having a midlife crisis, red sports car and a skelmpie! Tapered a bit on the racing front and got more into the "just ride for the sake of it" side. Occasionally commuted to work......then more and more until it became addictive. Now only do 1 or 2 races a year. Got interested in classic bikes, started restoring and riding them. Crashed again, my first road crash (not my fault, really), lucky to survive, still recovering, but eyeing some more outlandish adventures and busy building a one of a kind fixie! I came to the conclusion that there is no cure for my particular madness!

Edited by DJR