Replace rivnut

worriesnot

I have the tool and nuts. In Lonehill/Kyalami. 072 222 7185

Thanks! Looking at some of the replies above, installation looks to be fairly simple - it's the removal of the old one that I wasn't sure about, but have seen now that you need to cut the flanged head with a Dremel. 

I'll definitely give you a shout if I don't come right.

Makes sense this.. Might have to increase the size of the lever? Use a pipe or something over it. 

Nice tip, thanks. 

QR lever will do it perfectly. no need to add extra leverage here. The Rivnut needs less force than a typical rivet.

Thanks! Looking at some of the replies above, installation looks to be fairly simple - it's the removal of the old one that I wasn't sure about, but have seen now that you need to cut the flanged head with a Dremel. 

I'll definitely give you a shout if I don't come right.

You're going to throw it away, and the alloy is usually pretty soft, so getting it out is easy. the hard part is not doing any damage to the frame along the way. Watch out for a spinning rivnuts if you're drilling or Dremel-ing it out - can cause the tool to bite and slip off onto the frame.

Other than the Dremel method (and I might try that next time), you can try

1. Use an old waterbottle bolt to tap the rivnut deeper in, to straighten out the rivnut in the frame. then just wiggle it out (or use this to get a bit more frame clearance around the head for step 2)

2. If the head is loose/proud of the frame you can sometimes just cut it off with a side cutter - Pinarello in particular uses a rivnut with 4 'legs' between the head and the nut, rather than a full collar. and you can sometimes just cut each leg in turn to separate the head from the nut.

Edited by 100Tours

You're going to throw it away, and the alloy is usually pretty soft, so getting it out is easy. the hard part is not doing any damage to the frame along the way. Watch out for a spinning rivnuts if you're drilling or Dremel-ing it out - can cause the tool to bite and slip off onto the frame.

Other than the Dremel method (and I might try that next time), you can try

1. Use an old waterbottle bolt to tap the rivnut deeper in, to straighten out the rivnut in the frame. then just wiggle it out (or use this to get a bit more frame clearance around the head for step 2)

2. If the head is loose/proud of the frame you can sometimes just cut it off with a side cutter - Pinarello in particular uses a rivnut with 4 'legs' between the head and the nut, rather than a full collar. and you can sometimes just cut each leg in turn to separate the head from the nut.

it's out... bit of dremeling, bit of knocking and now it's rattling inside the frame  :D

Should get it out through the headtube easily enough. 

Off to Temsik in the morning for a new riv nut!