[Event] Rand Water Race For Victory 2k19

Opc_danny

Anybody enter this and how you guys do? Hopefully no crashes etc

Weather held up well and well the wind is always there by default, it really hurt coming down to suiker - dayam.

I had a great ride in BL and managed to round off the podium in 3rd place R300 richer (Thanks R4V) - we came in with a 2H47.

Sweet

danny

I also rode BL. There was a nasty crash approx. 25 kilos into the race. 5-6 guys went down really hard in front of me. The bikes were badly damaged, with the riders hurt-vehicles stopped to assist. I barely managed to avoid crashing, as I was covering my brakes due to the constant surging and slowing. I did a 3:03, and stayed with the remaining BL pack to the end. 

Also started in BL...

Flip you okes at the front of the pack really tore everyone to pieces yesterday. Havent had that type of racing in open seeded in a while!!! and from second 1...

Coming off some long rests in Winter, so had to constantly pull myself back to the pack after a 10m gap opened up.

Around 65km, I just couldn't get myself back again and had about a 30km ride on my own before the next BL remnants caught me, which I was super grateful for.

Managed a 3:00

Good race to test the legs and have a few hard talks with oneself about the long winter :-).

Rode DL, had a good race. Lots of marshalls which was great, especially moto that followed us most of the way to assist with cars trying to overtake.

Had the narrowest, and I mean narrowest, of calls with a caravan passing the bunch. Pretty sure the gentleman to my right brushed his shoulder against it as it came passed. I swear the entire bunch just shuddered at how close it was to absolute disaster.

Also rode in BL, felt like a V-batch type race and was also dropped for good measure.  Winter training didn't go according to plan apparently - finished in 3:03.

Was also passed by white bakkie towing a caravan. Stayed out the way, but the lady in the passenger seat was giving me some stick about who knows what. Had a poodle on her lap.

Kudos to the organisers.  Lots of friendly marshals on each corner and intersection. Also had a motorbike with us constantly.  And this year's shirt is much nicer than last year.

Raced amongst the pro ladies for the first time. It was tough as they just put all the elites, vets and masters into one batch so ja the pace was quick. Being a MTB racer chick, and only riding road for fun (on a Raleigh RC3000) I will reconsider my seeding in the elites batch next time... Still managed to hang on for 25km before my Van Gaalen legs from the previous day turned on me. Was hurting the rest of the race. Finished in 3h30 which is still a PB. Great fast race.

That Team South Express [Cant Remember] Panda kit, they were attacking over and over, i was just grateful to hang on after multiple repeats, it was ruthless lol

Wow thats pretty hectic to hear about that crash tho, hope everyone is ok and makes a speedy recovery.

Also started in BL...

Flip you okes at the front of the pack really tore everyone to pieces yesterday. Havent had that type of racing in open seeded in a while!!! and from second 1...

Coming off some long rests in Winter, so had to constantly pull myself back to the pack after a 10m gap opened up.

Around 65km, I just couldn't get myself back again and had about a 30km ride on my own before the next BL remnants caught me, which I was super grateful for.

Managed a 3:00

Good race to test the legs and have a few hard talks with oneself about the long winter :-).

Anybody enter this and how you guys do? Hopefully no crashes etc

Weather held up well and well the wind is always there by default, it really hurt coming down to suiker - dayam.

I had a great ride in BL and managed to round off the podium in 3rd place R300 richer (Thanks R4V) - we came in with a 2H47.

Sweet

danny

Thought prices only applied to racing batches. Which price did you win?

Thought prices only applied to racing batches. Which price did you win?

This race has had some money for a few non racing groups for a few years now. In fact it's really not bad compared to some other races with prize money. I won tandems in 2017 and iicr it was like R1k. In 2013(still the old venue) I got 2nd and it was like R800 back then I think. So it has always been a race that gives a fairly decent pay check for non licenced groups(or some of them at least). Another one is the fast one that gives cash for seeded groups.

Raced AL. Pretty sedate pace at the start, usual pick up in pace on Walkerville Hill to drop some okes. But just before Aerials my legs gave in and I lost the front bunch. Chasing bunch managed to form and we made it together to the end. Pretty uneventful for me.

Finished in 2h50, new course PB, so I'm satisfied, even though I got dropped. 

Also in AL, and I felt good just before the Circus (50Km in), and enjoying the sedate pace at the start. I eased up on the turn after crossing the railway line & Old Vereeniging Road only to find out the next 6.5Km was like racing a Crit (right, oops I better hammer it, right, left, hammer some more, hammer even more, how long with this hammer session last, left, right, left, right, hammer again, right, another hammer session, left, hammer x3, close the gap and the next gap as a few guys sit up, and finally recover going passed the Oprah school).

Then the gutter on the road between Henley and the right turn to aerials, resulting in me getting dropped at about 65Km. The next 23Km were spent pedalling squares around 200W @ 32Km/h before the front guys of BL caught two of us about 12-13Km to go. Sucking their wheel to the finish yielded a similar power output, but at a 38Km/h average. Was grateful to have them help limit my torture time.

Not unhappy with the time (2:52), given than I'm a cyclist with a running problem. Can't please both masters (roadie and runner).