Gravelking Panaracer

Jonesy

I've been on Gravelking 38c slicks for the last year. Most of the riding takes place on the road, sidewalks, and smooth gravel. For the type of riding I do they are unbeatable, but I can think of various scenarios where they would be less than ideal.

Rolling resistance: Probably one of the fastest 38mm tyres you'll get for riding on paved roads.

Durability: I've just reached 7000km on my set, rode tubeless until 5k, but started having inflation issues, so last 2k has been with tubes. Back tyre will be replaced soon.

Terrain: I ride 90/10 pavement/gravel. If i rode more gravel i would go for something a little more heavyduty with thicker sidewalls and better puncture protection.

So this is like my type of riding. Great to hear your experiences. I may also use them with tubes... if they prove tough enough. Do you think I have much to gain going for the 35mm ones?

I went from Kenda Flintridge 40c to these 35c Panaracers (the smooth tread version) recently and I have been loving them. Riding mostly road and compact dirt paths, but also been on some rough gravel/farm road stretches without any issues. I fitted Continental CX/Touring tubes and have not had any issues. Grip is fantastic and they roll fast.

So this is like my type of riding. Great to hear your experiences. I may also use them with tubes... if they prove tough enough. Do you think I have much to gain going for the 35mm ones?

In terms of rolling resistance, I doubt much.

I use the 38c because it's essentially the max width my bike accepts. I would go for the larger volume, which will also allow for lower pressures if you need it.

Pulled the trigger on a set of Farr Dot's -  the thread pattern makes a bit more sense for my type of riding -   the only potential drawback was their weight, but I am at that point where I say " Hey, the more weight the harder the workout?!!"  :thumbup:

I have just fitted the 38c SK tubeless on my CX bike.

At 90kg, what pressure should I start at for corrugated roads ?

Pulled the trigger on a set of Farr Dot's -  the thread pattern makes a bit more sense for my type of riding -   the only potential drawback was their weight, but I am at that point where I say " Hey, the more weight the harder the workout?!!"  :thumbup:

these roll so fast you won't notice the weight and I have them on my weight weenie gravel bike

Fitted the Farr Dot's to my Momsen GP today (tubeless) and took them out for a 40km spin 90/10 road/gravel and they are awesome.   Definitely faster than my 40c X'plor's and they induce more confidence when roughing it.  These are Fat tyres -  I like 'em!

I have just fitted the 38c SK tubeless on my CX bike.

At 90kg, what pressure should I start at for corrugated roads ?

At 90kg (total weight i.e. rider + bicycle) I would suggest:

Front - 30-40 psi

Rear - 40-45 psi