The Lost Goat of Machaila

River Rat

Found this clip of Masuma in Hwange - place of the elephant!

https://www.msn.com/en-za/video/wonder/incredible-number-of-elephants-visit-waterhole-together/vi-BBYGply?ocid=spartandhp

But, sadly, it also shows the problem with elephant concentrations like that. The severely trimmed trees you see all around are Mopanis. The elephant browse and break them and trim them to near death, leaving a deformed forest of bonsai Mopani. 

Edited by DJR

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.msn.com/en-za/video/wonder/incredible-number-of-elephants-visit-waterhole-together/vi-BBYGply?ocid=spartandhp

But, sadly, it also shows the problem with elephant concentrations like that. The severely trimmed trees you see all around are Mopanis. The elephant browse and break them and trim them to near death, leaving deformed a forest of Mopani bonsai.

I see in KNP they're decommissioning manmade waterholes creating a natural culling device for elephants because they are so destructive to the habitat. Of course this won't work in places like Chobe and along the Zambezi rivers.

and when in Africa, we sit and make a cup of tea with a biscuit and wait .... for part 2 .....

Paddlers are easy people. They don't let people rush them.

Edited by Moridin

But, sadly, it also shows the problem with elephant concentrations like that. The severely trimmed trees you see all around are Mopanis. The elephant browse and break them and trim them to near death, leaving a deformed forest of bonsai Mopani. 

When we were there in Oct, the lack of food was evident. Many carcasses were lying around, not from lack of water, but lack of food.

It is the same issue farmers are facing, there is underground water, just not enough food.

Chobe to was decimated. The game visibility was amazing because there was no grass. But also the smaller trees are dying out as well.

The trip in Oct was the first time we saw and truly understood the extent and impact of the drought across the entire southern African region.

It's also the reason I have not hunted for the past 3 years. We have family farming in the upper central Karoo, and usually he has lots of Springbok, but with this drought, he has not seen much around, and I would feel **** hunting what ever is left standing. Maybe with a miracle this too shall pass, and I will once be able to walk the lush Karoo veld in pursuit of a bokkie.

Really sad.

My absolutely most favourite wild creature is the African Elephant, it is something about their eyes that feels like you can look into their soul, and they do the same to you

Our company has a lodge at Mokaikai, twice this holiday, the Ellie’s have come to visit. Our MD has been in the pool before when they’ve come, the elephant splashed him with his trunk, so he splashed back, they played like that for a while, splashing each other!

77860774050af35473eadc9f27c4cd19.jpg744f0f3f8ba0b1e0de06e2f6539e6d70.jpg

My first love - The Landy (a Series 3) ! But yes, I did love the skinny me also! Very long ago, somewhere in Moz I think. Only drove Landies ever since and they took me to amazing places and experiences. Except for a short bit of infidelity with a Jeep Cherokee! Oh, and a one night stand with a BMW - won't do that again! 

post-17716-0-26795500-1578462229_thumb.jpg

Namibia - Fast! On way back from Zambia. Somewhere near Keetmanshoop. Travelling heavy.

post-17716-0-06649300-1578462534_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Our company has a lodge at Mokaikai, twice this holiday, the Ellie’s have come to visit. Our MD has been in the pool before when they’ve come, the elephant splashed him with his trunk, so he splashed back, they played like that for a while, splashing each other!

77860774050af35473eadc9f27c4cd19.jpg744f0f3f8ba0b1e0de06e2f6539e6d70.jpg

Flipping awesome