Garmin edge 130 not displaying HR

martinsnyman

Bought a Garmin edge 130 online and cannot seem to get it to display my HR. As soon as I switch on it shows that it is detecting the hr strap, but then does not display HR - it will come on periodically- but just for a few seconds and the revert to - - again? I am wearing the strap correctly and do wet the electrodes before wearing. Any help or advice please? Are there any service centres in Gauteng? Thank you in advance.

Have been experiencing the same issue with my Edge 520. It jumps between displaying noting at all to a ridiculously low reading to working fine. I tried every troubleshooting solution Garmin provides on their website and more but nothing works. Probably have to send it off to Garmin to have it tested.

I've now just excepted that it will work when it works.

Hi Rudii, 

Thank you for the feedback - quite sad though as one pays a premium and buys a well known brand and it does not work??

Yes, battery was replaced. Been difficult to pinpoint if the issue is with the strap or HRM. If I pull the strap away from my chest it will pick up my HR and stop displaying after a  few seconds, if i rub the monitor like a genie lamp it does the same.

Sounds like a strap issue, have you tried replacing the CR2032 coin battery?

It is but I must say that I only started experiencing this after about two years.

Hi Rudii, 

Thank you for the feedback - quite sad though as one pays a premium and buys a well known brand and it does not work??

ah, the (in)famous software update where they enhance the one functionally that no one uses and mess up the ones you do actually use.

I have the same problem with my 520 but only started after I updated it software

I made contact with Garmin SA and they told me to try a factory reset and if the problem persist, courier it directly to them to assess

Garmin Southern Africa

The Mall Offices

Office 802 – 8th floor

11 Cradock Ave ,Rosebank, 2196

or via one of the dealers below:

• Cape Union Mart
  • Sportsman’s Warehouse
  • Trappers Trading

I made contact with Garmin SA and they told me to try a factory reset and if the problem persist, courier it directly to them to assess

Garmin Southern Africa

The Mall Offices

Office 802 – 8th floor

11 Cradock Ave ,Rosebank, 2196

or via one of the dealers below:

• Cape Union Mart
  • Sportsman’s Warehouse
  • Trappers Trading

How do you do a factory reset?

for the NEW owners - maybe worth playing around with the HR belt position.

With the Polar it would pick up always.

With the Garmin the belt has to be higher .....  :blink:   Once I figured out the correct position it worked perfect for a few years.  Replaced the battery and it is still working good ---- touch wood !

Select Menu > Settings > System > Device Reset > Factory Reset > OK.

NOTE: This deletes all user-entered information, but it does not delete your history.

Haven't tried this myself yet, so not sure if it will resolve the issue.

Not sure why a brand new 130 will have this issue.

How do you do a factory reset?

Edited by Rudii