[Event] Leadville 100 2020

Dubber

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the plot thickens.  

As mentioned above, the only real way to get into this event is via lottery. And by all accounts (and their own admission) the organizers stuffed up the lotto process big time this year.  In short, they sent out a bunch of 'yes's that should have been no's.

The organizers haven't said how may extra yes's they sent out - but I haven't heard of anyone actually getting a 'no'.  So that makes me think everyone got in.

Anyway, because they are now way over subscribed, they are offering deferrals to next year.  And to sweeten the deal they are willing to chuck in a free entry into any one of their other events through out the year.  

While the free event is cool (around $150 to $200 depending on the event), the real bonus is that these events act as seeding event for Leadville.  As it stands I would be starting right at the back if I rode in 2020.  This would in turn make a long day into a really long day.  

So at this point I'm considering the deferral, riding a seeding event and then doing Leadville in 2021.  

So if anyone is thinking about 2021, I've got a spare room in the basement ;-)  Just remember to pack your lungs...

That's pretty cool, I just realized now you are a local so probably makes sense but for the rest of us coming from abroad surely we can submit some of our past race results to get preferential seeding? Like some of South African Race organizers do to accommodate visiting riders that are above average.

That's pretty cool, I just realized now you are a local so probably makes sense but for the rest of us coming from abroad surely we can submit some of our past race results to get preferential seeding? Like some of South African Race organizers do to accommodate visiting riders that are above average.

That's an interesting question.  I'll ask around and see if anyone knows.

The major milestone in terms of finishing time is 9 hrs.  (This can kinda be equated to the 3 hr finish at the Argus in terms of prestige etc).  And by all accounts this is near impossible without a decent start group - much like CTCT.   

It would be a bummer for international travelers not to be able to have a crack at the 9 hrs simply because they can't do any seeding rides...

That's an interesting question. I'll ask around and see if anyone knows.

The major milestone in terms of finishing time is 9 hrs. (This can kinda be equated to the 3 hr finish at the Argus in terms of prestige etc). And by all accounts this is near impossible without a decent start group - much like CTCT.

It would be a bummer for international travelers not to be able to have a crack at the 9 hrs simply because they can't do any seeding rides...

or a Sub 6 Attakwas or a Sub 9 Trans Baviaans

or a Sub 6 Attakwas or a Sub 9 Trans Baviaans

Yep - those are better examples.  Not that I'm anywhere near those times ;-)

Edited by Dubber

Wayne here-ex RIDE photographer, now living in USA.

I raced the 2015 edition of the Leadville 100-9hrs 29 minutes.

Raced the inaugural Cape epic from Knysna to CT, 2004.

Leadville 100 is a 1-day out and back event.

Massive climbs, beyond anything i've ridden in SA, or Lesotho for that matter.

The big shite is the altitude-starts at 10 650 feet, climbs up and down to the 50 mile point at 12 500 feet and returns up and down to 10 650 in Leadville.

Not technical at all (cyclocross bikes manage)

Also, if as I did-you get an entry into the race by lottery and you want to race, not just complete the event, then you will have to-as I did, go and race another 100 km Mtb event and do a really good time to improve your start position, or potentially have a 1000 palookas in front of you-all yapping in American and screwing up your line into the first massive climb only 10 km's from the start!!

Really a cool event, but nowhere near as scenic as the Western Cape-y'all will be disappointed.

Watched Ben Meldt Swanepoel come in 11th-the top dogs there are super tough athletes.

Wayne here-ex RIDE photographer, now living in USA.

I raced the 2015 edition of the Leadville 100-9hrs 29 minutes.

Raced the inaugural Cape epic from Knysna to CT, 2004.

Leadville 100 is a 1-day out and back event.

Massive climbs, beyond anything i've ridden in SA, or Lesotho for that matter.

The big shite is the altitude-starts at 10 650 feet, climbs up and down to the 50 mile point at 12 500 feet and returns up and down to 10 650 in Leadville.

Not technical at all (cyclocross bikes manage)

Also, if as I did-you get an entry into the race by lottery and you want to race, not just complete the event, then you will have to-as I did, go and race another 100 km Mtb event and do a really good time to improve your start position, or potentially have a 1000 palookas in front of you-all yapping in American and screwing up your line into the first massive climb only 10 km's from the start!!

Really a cool event, but nowhere near as scenic as the Western Cape-y'all will be disappointed.

Watched Ben Meldt Swanepoel come in 11th-the top dogs there are super tough athletes.

Thanks for that very valuable insight Wayne, there must be a way for the race organizer to recognize the international riders past race results which was achieved outside of the USA. When it comes to that time I'll write a letter requesting to be seeded average to above average batch.

Personally I found a change of scenery can sometimes be viewed differently even though its not the best but just the mere fact that you are in new surroundings makes it awesome.

It is easier at altitude because the wind resistance is less

I've ridden a MTB over 5500m going past base camp. This is not uniformly true  :whistling:

3700m is enough to give you a proper headache if you're not acclimatised.

I've ridden a MTB over 5500m going past base camp. This is not uniformly true  :whistling:

3700m is enough to give you a proper headache if you're not acclimatised.

Hence the comic sans. I think my head will explode at those altitudes!

Event Name: Leadville 100 2020

When: 15 August 2020

Where: Leadville, Colorado, International

Category: MTB

This is it, the race of all races. One hundred miles across the high-altitude, extreme terrain of the Colorado Rockies, this event was created for only the most determined athletes. Starting at 10,152 feet and climbing to 12,424 feet, you’ll be challenged to catch your breath — while the views try to take it away.

Go to Event Page

Enjoy, @Dubber

What a magical experience to come

That's an interesting question.  I'll ask around and see if anyone knows.

The major milestone in terms of finishing time is 9 hrs.  (This can kinda be equated to the 3 hr finish at the Argus in terms of prestige etc).  And by all accounts this is near impossible without a decent start group - much like CTCT.   

Forget the nine hour unless you are seeded in the front, say 200 riders, are really fit, and have a good day-this is one tough ride-it all has to come together on the day!

Forget the nine hour unless you are seeded in the front, say 200 riders, are really fit, and have a good day-this is one tough ride-it all has to come together on the day!

I have no illusions of getting the 9 hr medal.   I will be more than happy with a finish  :thumbup:

I finished the Leadville Trail 100 MTB race in 2018 in a time of 8h:39m (163rd overall). I started in the White Corral which I qualified for after finishing the Silver Rush 50 MTB earlier that year. The race organizers are pretty strict with regards to seeding and won’t consider written motivations or proof of your SA results, so if you are serious about finishing in sub-9, you will need to enter one of the seeding events in the Leadville Race Series. As others have said, what makes the race so tough are the long climbs, the altitude which drains your energy and restricts your breathing, and the unpredictable weather conditions (rain, sleet, snow, heatwave etc are all possible in one day). It was a big one to tick off my bucket list and I highly recommend it to everyone. Just make sure that you put in some training at high altitude and arrive a week or two early to acclimatize if possible.