Ladies Mile Circle

firewolf

At least the Devil thorn will apparently disappear after 3 years. Unfortunately the design of the new circle and bike path cyclist will probably have to live with (if not killed by a motorist while using the bike path) for many years.

Personally I use the road at this new circle - bike path way to unsafe!

Not at the circle but in Firgrove as your turn off Spansi... I was a bike Marshall on Saturday for a half marathon and turning into Firgrove all I saw were huge thorns, and right across the road from left to right, standing outside the school as the runners entered the finish we could actually hear them stuck in the runners shoes. On the pavements there are massive thorn plant things on both sides, so when the council cut the grass, all of them end up in the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey whatever.. planted.. hatched.. left by aliens.. don't really care. Just wanted to know if anyone affected.

Edited by firewolf

I have to admit that about a month ago I drove through there for the 1st time in years and balked at the circle and Checkers centre...... I live about 10km away in Muizenberg and didn't even know they were building it!

My family thinks that my Southern Peninsula +Baden Powell bubble is hilarious and now tell me all sorts of fanciful things and 'developments' that I know aren't true. 

Unfortunately the design of the new circle and bike path cyclist will probably have to live with (if not killed by a motorist while using the bike path) for many years.

Personally I use the road at this new circle - bike path way to unsafe!

Bike Lane = good intention

Traffic Circle = good intention

That particular combination = bad implementation

I would rather take my chances and blend with the cars than try and navigate from island to island on the bike lane

The lanes are not well thought out.  Better to keep flowing as part of the traffic, in the center of a lane, with eyes and ears wide open as I navigate through the circle.  In fact I do this in most circles - but hey, each to their own.

Meanwhile:  Thanks to DJR I went online and did a little research. Interesting little buggers these thorns!  After using the lane, resulting in two punctures per wheel in 10 seconds I was understandably pissed off:  I was convinced that an anti cycling third force had intentionally planted these - It seems to suggest however that  they lay dormant until disturbed then spring into action.  Leaves make a good surfactant; useful when finished fixing a flat caused by their thorns!!