Carbon vs Titanium???

Spaceboy

I remember in the 90's Univega made frames from Borulium (sp?) Never saw one in person though.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember in the 90's Univega made frames from Borulium (sp?) Never saw one in person though.

Embarrassed

I've been talking Boron here when I meant Beryllium. They are neighbours on the Periodic Table but completely different.

Sorry guys. Today I rhyme with boron.

Yes Mampara, you're right, Univega did a Beryllium experiment. I don't know if they ever sold more than a dozen of those frames.

Spaceboy' date=' I have both, and to be honest I prefer the Litespeed even though it is heavier than my carbon bike. I went Ti 'cos riding a carbon frame with carbon tubby wheels pumped to 160psi I was loosing a lot of fillings from my teeth. Comfort is also a factor to consider and for an old fart like me, I prefer my Ti bike.[/quote']

maybe you must go to the dentists more often.....then you can ride carbon with tubbies!!!LOLWink

Embarrassed

I've been talking Boron here when I meant Beryllium. They are neighbours on the Periodic Table but completely different.

Sorry guys. Today I rhyme with boron.

Yes Mampara' date=' you're right, Univega did a Beryllium experiment. I don't know if they ever sold more than a dozen of those frames.

[/quote']

So the material that is expensive/poisonous is berrylium?

Do manufacturers ever use boron for a frame - I've heard of them using small amounts in bottom brackets, but what about whole frames.. or a boron/ carbon composite.

I once had a boron tennis racket (50% carbon) about 20 years ago so it cant be too expensive/ exotic.

So the material that is expensive/poisonous is berrylium?

Do manufacturers ever use boron for a frame - I've heard of them using small amounts in bottom brackets' date=' but what about whole frames.. or a boron/ carbon composite.

I once had a boron tennis racket (50% carbon) about 20 years ago so it cant be too expensive/ exotic.
[/quote']

Yes, I only got the name wrong. It's poisonous, metallic properties remain.

Boron is a non-metal and used as an alloying material in various other metals, a little bit like carbon is used in steel to make it harder. You can't make a frame from it....it would dissolve in the first puddle.

Have a look at the Wiki entires on boron and beryllium, they can tell you much more than I can. Chemistry is not my forte.

20080625_074538_p1130414.jpg

wow this is the hottest bike I have ever ever ever come across... It wins by default!

I wanna regurgitate this thread just to wind you carbon fiber okes up a bit. Oh and by the way, I used to be carbon befok, and still am a bit (it is beautiful stuff) hence my hub name CarbonBoy. However, seeing as I ride a Ti bike as well, I have to defend Ti.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Check this out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3741362681682291899

LOL

Science fiction vs. science fact? The clip has been around for a a while, it smells a lot like marketing BS to me.

Tell you what, if this video clip is not marketing BS, I'm sure one of you Ti fans will volunteer a frame, then we can redo the test by driving over it with some observers present etc. to make sure its not fixed. It should not be an issue, since the Ti frame would be immune to dammage, right?

Done deal Christie, and just to make sure the Carbon frame in the video was not tampered with beforehand, I will bring my Ti frame, you bring your Carbon frame, maybe a hubber will volunteer an alu frame and we can have a our own showdownWacko

And the winner takes all... the piecesLOL

I have really enjoyed all the input from all hubbers, with Christie, JB, and Carbonboy all making it more interesting.

At the end of it all, I am pretty sure we can all agree that both Carbon and Titanium are excellent materials for bikes, one might be slightly heavier, but stronger, while the other might be lighter etc etc....

at the end of it all, I think it comes down to personal preference.... and I am leaning toward Ti myself. Cheers!

Hey Spaceboy I will approach this from a non techincal angle. I ride a R3 and a mate of mine rides a Litespeed. I come from a mtb background so am not engrossed in the "roadie" technicallities of the debate.

Because my mate and I are more or less the same height we were out on a ride one day and swopped bikes. What struck me immediately was how comfortable the Litespeed felt. The ability to smooth the ride was almost uncanny but at the same time it did feel very racy.

Getting back onto the R3 felt like, to put it into car terms, clmbing from an Aston Martin into a Ferrari. The ride more plush but certainly no less racy.

So, in hindsite if I had a choice over I probably would buy a Litespeed. As much as I love the R3 the LS just had something special.