Top 10 albums

StevieL

Fuzigish - very much underrated SA talent.

At their gigs when the drummer started banging out 'Fat Ska Beating' you knew this **** was going to hit the fan 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At their gigs when the drummer started banging out 'Fat Ska Beating' you knew this **** was going to hit the fan

Jis! And then Big Willy comes with his funnel... Many fond memories of their gigs.

Edit: Leek, Hoggs and half price should also be on my list.

Edit: and The Vendetta Cartel. We actually had a pretty good scene. Not sure how things stand today.

Edited by Pieter1

Jis! And then Big Willy comes with his funnel... Many fond memories of their gigs.

I feel sorry for ever drank from that funnel - will was/is dodgy as anything, I'm sure he used the funnel as a toilet many times

I feel sorry for ever drank from that funnel - will was/is dodgy as anything, I'm sure he used the funnel as a toilet many times

Hahaha! Would not put it past him.

i see the commentators on this thread are people with proper taste in music  \m/

we should list SA bands that influenced your taste in music? there were so many in the 90's that came through, some survived, some grew up and joined the corporate world. some of them influenced the music scene in SA no end!

bands that I recall and that i still listen to are:

SNG - the influence they had on SA Rock was immense, taking it overseas and becoming a voice for a generation thirsty for decent music. how they recorded their first couple of albums will go down as folklore history. still regret not seeing them live at Dunkers in SSW way back when I was 15 and sneaking into a pub was our life's mission. I got in, but not knowing who they were, conservative me thought it was a stripshow of some kind and i bailed like a chicken. finally got to see them live MANY years later.

Cutting Jade - just love their sound, and at the time they had the sexiest bass player (Marlise), saw them live at Rocking the Bay at Bluerock circa 2002 when we still had music festivals

The Awakening - Ashton's voice just never let you go, his rendition of Hallo Darkness my old Friend is what pulled me in, and I instantly became a fan. saw them live at Mercury a couple of times.

Seether/Saron Gas - Shaun's powerful voice reminds me a bit of the GOAT James Hetfield. Fragile was their first album under their name at the time (Saron Gas), and its rock at its purest. Ive seen them live at the 2006 Coke Fest, opening for Metallica, then again at Grand West and also an acoustic set at Kirstenbosch. Shaun never fails to impress.

Lithium - saw them play a couple of times in the Stellenbosch area when I was 15/16, great live act and also a sound that kind of pulled you in. still remember subscribing to their newstape/newsletters...

I'm intrigued that that black grape album is in your list... Good memories from a specific time? Was a great album though

I had a choice between 2 REM albums because they had to be on my list and if it wasn't life's Rich paegent it was going to be automatic

I'm intrigued that that black grape album is in your list... Good memories from a specific time? Was a great album though

I had a choice between 2 REM albums because they had to be on my list and if it wasn't life's Rich paegent it was going to be automatic

Still enjoy the album - it came out just before my arrival in the UK in 1995. Wasn't a big Happy Mondays fan but this hit the spot - still listen to it this day - or tracks from it...

Would be interesting to know how many still listen to albums as opposed to playlists and individual tracks.

I could compile this list tomorrow and bar one it could be entirely different! 

What? No Pixies on anyone's list?

There's a couple of bands like that... It's usually the ones that influence others musicians... Beatles, Smiths, Pixies... Can't explain it..

Of those three:

Queen is dead

Come on Pilgrim

Revolver

Still enjoy the album - it came out just before my arrival in the UK in 1995. Wasn't a big Happy Mondays fan but this hit the spot - still listen to it this day - or tracks from it...

Would be interesting to know how many still listen to albums as opposed to playlists and individual tracks.

I could compile this list tomorrow and bar one it could be entirely different!

Oh yes . Great album. I was meant to see the Mondays last September with a whole pile of other artists.. James, house of love, lightning seeds.. But the concert was cancelled