Redshift Shockstop suspension stem

Prince Albert Cycles

34 minutes ago, warick_wrx said:

Do these stems actually work ?

They take the sting out of the bigger knocks and definitely remove much of the buzz from the gravel. i.e. a big improvement on comfort. 
But its only a short bit of travel, so its not like a suspension fork. Not sure if it would solve shoulder issues...
Its one of those things that is hard to quantify as I didn't ever do a back-to-back test.
You ride and you don't really notice it, but would get a big fright if you suddenly had a rigid stem.

37 minutes ago, warick_wrx said:

Do these stems actually work ?

Yes they do.  Using one for many years now.  One of the best "investments" I have made followed by a suspension seatpost.  Works so well I purchased a spare.

3 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

I have a new one in 90 mm . Was saving it for a build but when a hubber is in need ….

Arno

Legend ! 😎

I got my 1st one from you
And the second one via Amazon

I find it works really well. Not full suspension, but a huge difference on gravel roads in terms of comfort and traction. When I first bought mine, I was a bit underwhelmed, it seemed to increase the comfort a little on my usual ride down to Cape Point on tar, not really noticeable, but what I really noticed was how spongy it feels when you stand up on the pedals.

Then a few weeks later I was in the Karoo for a weekend and went gunning down one of those rough'ish gravel roads at full pace and suddenly it all made sense. More comfort, less bounce and more control and traction. The faster you go over the rough stuff, the more noticeable it is.

1 hour ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

I have a new one in 90 mm . Was saving it for a build but when a hubber is in need ….

Arno

Hi Arno.

Het vir jou 'n whatsapp gestuur.

I see there is also  FSA option :  NS VAS Stem, wonder how the it compares to the Redshift ?

1 hour ago, warick_wrx said:

I see there is also  FSA option :  NS VAS Stem, wonder how the it compares to the Redshift ?

That looks interesting, but is more of a vibration absorbing thing.

This is close to the Redshift stem:
https://canecreek.com/product/eesilk-stem/

And they also have a seatpost, if you are so inclined

The Vecnum  FreeQence has both adjustments for positive and negative up/down with around 40mm travel. Made in Germany so it’s pricey but what a piece of kit. Rumour has it, it’s on my bikes bucket list.😃🤭

Ive mentioned it on here before somewhere but Ive had the redshift seatpost and stem on my soma wolverine since 2019 (when they cost way less than now😅) and the best way to describe how they make n relatively ‘dun-wiel’ bike feel is like a rigid mtb with 3” rubber. They definitely ad that bump compliance that makes everything a bit more comfy for where you tend to ride these bikes. You wont clinch your butt cheeks/teeth anymore when you see you are going straight through imperfections in the road. They make jarring sharp edges feel a lot more round if that makes any sense and you really feel the difference over longer rides. 

Edited by MORNE

Arno from Prince Albert Cycles sorted me out ! Thank you very much Arno ! Stem on its way to me.

Will pop in when in the area. Swartberg Pass still high on the bucket list.

Looked at the Eesilk and FSA options, but, in my opinion, the Redshift is the one to go for.

Vecnum looks interesting, but definitely out of my price range. My bike does not have such expensive taste.

Quick update:

Got the stem on Friday. Thanks Arno !

Fitted it and did a 100km test ride on Saturday. I can say that this thing works as described. 

Using it on a flat bar Giant XTC with carbon rigid fork.

It definitely takes out the "rattle". Will now play around a little with the settings to see if it can further improve or not.

I can see why they suggest stiffer settings on gravel/road bars. The extra leverage does make a difference. I also think longer versions of this stem will add to that.

Great upgrade in my opinion !

59 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Quick update:

Fitted it and did a 100km test ride on Saturday. I can say that this thing works as described. 

It definitely takes out the "rattle". Will now play around a little with the settings to see if it can further improve or not.

I can see why they suggest stiffer settings on gravel/road bars. The extra leverage does make a difference. I also think longer versions of this stem will add to that.

The elastomers in the stem should be related to your weight as well

1 hour ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Quick update:

Agree that with a drop bar and riding on the hoods or in the drops the extra leverage will enhance the comfort 

1 hour ago, splat said:

The elastomers in the stem should be related to your weight as well

100%. Currently set up according to my weight.

Just want to play around a little and see what it does.😁