Flat pedal shoes 2020

Spafsack

"Thanks for your request but I am sorry we are all out of demo shoes and stock at the moment. 

We have a shipment arriving in 2 months. There has been high demand and a global stock shortage."

Will wait a bit and maybe just try placing my feet better in the meantime 

Pity stock is low right now! 

In the mean time try these two things. 

- Ride downhills with your feet duck footed as I suggested, as far as they can go before touching your chainstays and crank arm (this is why Enduro and DH riders often have worn chainstays and crank arms and I suggest wrapping both in protective coat of some kind)

- The result? You'll be able to bend your knees much more easily which helps with cornering properly

- Make sure the axle of the pedal is BEHIND the ball of your foot. A lot of people are not aware of this either and it likely comes from clipless shoes forcing a more forward position for many years. 

- The result? You will feel much more "inside" the bike (stable) and will be able to drop your heels more effectively. 

Edited by MarcHD

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Ride downhills with your feet duck footed as I suggested, as far as they can go before touching your chainstays and crank arm (this is why Enduro and DH riders often have worn chainstays and crank arms and I suggest wrapping both in protective coat of some kind)

- The result? You'll be able to bend your knees much more easily which helps with cornering properly

- Make sure the axle of the crank is BEHIND the ball of your foot. A lot of people are not aware of this either and it likely comes from clipless shoes forcing a more forward position for many years. 

- The result? You will feel much more "inside" the bike (stable) and will be able to drop your heels more effectively. 

Awesome, thanks - will definitely give it a go

- Make sure the axle of the crank is BEHIND the ball of your foot. A lot of people are not aware of this either and it likely comes from clipless shoes forcing a more forward position for many years. 

Axle of the pedal?

My perception is the foot numbness, pins and needles, is a combination of what shoe you have and pedals. Since changing to V12's, i have way less of any of these symptoms as the peddle is now in the middle of my shoe. The numbness is caused by the spikes pushing on nerves. My current five tens are old, but when i move my foot around, you can feel the 'tender' points. Soft soles just dont work.

My five tens lasted long, they not down and out, but i recon a 30km ride will show up the numbness again. My new five tens and pedals arrive this Friday, nice new stiff sole for a change, start with good position and habbits, and if they last 3 to 4 years, then i recon it is good value for money.

Very cool news. Wiggle, via skynet, just delivered my parcel  :clap:  Exactly 10 days as they said, i am amazed at the service. Customs rushed me 30% duties on the shoes, but i expected that. So grand total for shoes and pedals worked out to a landed cost, at my door, of R3 450. I paid over R3 000 for my Five Tens years ago, so i think i got a good deal  :thumbup:

It is a pitty i could not get hold of ride concepts as a demo to test, compare, and probably buy a pair, but stock was low, they were and are selling like hot cakes. Then again, i know what i have with Five Tens, and can expect the same reliability for the next 4 years i would say and they had the exact same size in stock which i have now, so i know, if i order it will fit the same.

The DMR V12's mags are crazy light. Un real workmnship, i really cant wait to fit later today and test. Looking forward to finally testing new shoes with new pedals. The standard V12's i have borrowed from a mate work like a charm, they just getting better every ride, numb feet gone. The DMR must be one of the best value for money out there. 

post-142431-0-78737200-1597307162_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-74420400-1597307173_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-85042300-1597307180_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-65810300-1597307185_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-72052700-1597307194_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-56431300-1597307200_thumb.jpg

post-142431-0-52418800-1597307206_thumb.jpg

Good thread. Any suggestions on where I can find MTB shoes for kids? Most stores don't cater for the younger riders, i.e baggy mtb shorts are impossible to find. 

Good thread. Any suggestions on where I can find MTB shoes for kids? Most stores don't cater for the younger riders, i.e baggy mtb shorts are impossible to find. 

My suggestion would be to go to a Takkie Town and the sturdiest pair of Vans that you can buy.

Quite cheep compared to "Proper" MTB shoes and has tough and tacky soles.

Only compromise is it doesn't offer the protection of other MTB shoes 

My suggestion would be to go to a Takkie Town and the sturdiest pair of Vans that you can buy.

Quite cheep compared to "Proper" MTB shoes and has tough and tacky soles.

Only compromise is it doesn't offer the protection of other MTB shoes 

...Or the stiff sole that almost half this thread has been related to.... 

"Proper" MTB shoes are regarded as proper not just because they cost more  ;)  

yes would like to know as well

Try to test the Giant Pinner DH flat pedals.

It is visually thinner and wider than other flat pedals.

Mine is 117mm wide, measured from the crank arm. With my size 44 shoes I use all of this extra width.

Also find the platform starts very close to the crank, but the extra width more than compensates for this

I also bought these for R1500 from Outdoor Escape and love it. Super light for alu pedals (390 grams) and very grippy with 10 pins per side if I remember correctly. I was after something very grippy like Spez Boomslang pedals but those are R2500. So while these are still not cheap it is well worth it in my opinion.

Giant might not be known for their pedals but I am really happy with these. 

PS, I also saw the recalls about these and followed up with Outdoor Escape who assured me these do not fall in the recalled batch

So I've never really taken too much notice of my foot placement riding down tbh...
But from markings on my shoes and crank arms it suggests that I do tend to ride so-called duck footed...as I am more conscious about foot placement dragging my body up the mountain and know I then don't really brush the cranks it must be more going down. One thing I do suspect however is that I might not have the axle of the pedal properly/enough behind my foot... I might obviously also be wrong. Will upload a pic or two for your expert opinion.
FYI I ride right foot front left back.

Suck at uploading the pics correctly...meh

post-103094-0-49178500-1597394611_thumb.jpg

post-103094-0-23352300-1597394622_thumb.jpg

post-103094-0-09536200-1597394647_thumb.jpg

post-103094-0-41266200-1597394755_thumb.jpg

post-103094-0-58994400-1597394836_thumb.png

post-103094-0-41481500-1597394845_thumb.png

Edited by Wheelie87

Very cool news. Wiggle, via skynet, just delivered my parcel  :clap:  Exactly 10 days as they said, i am amazed at the service. Customs rushed me 30% duties on the shoes, but i expected that. So grand total for shoes and pedals worked out to a landed cost, at my door, of R3 450. I paid over R3 000 for my Five Tens years ago, so i think i got a good deal  :thumbup:

It is a pitty i could not get hold of ride concepts as a demo to test, compare, and probably buy a pair, but stock was low, they were and are selling like hot cakes. Then again, i know what i have with Five Tens, and can expect the same reliability for the next 4 years i would say and they had the exact same size in stock which i have now, so i know, if i order it will fit the same.

The DMR V12's mags are crazy light. Un real workmnship, i really cant wait to fit later today and test. Looking forward to finally testing new shoes with new pedals. The standard V12's i have borrowed from a mate work like a charm, they just getting better every ride, numb feet gone. The DMR must be one of the best value for money out there. 

Looks amazing man!