2019 Pyga Stage or...

krepunk

Hi all

Looking to buy a new mountain bike after selling my trusty old Momsen AL329 just before lockdown. Would love to get a carbon dual suspension that can get me through the next 5+ years of riding.

With my Momsen I mostly rode the cradle loop, northern farms, the spruit and various other races and events around Jhb. I will continue to ride these kinds of places and trails but would also like to be a bit more comfortable and have a bit more fun.

My budget is around R60k and I've seen a few Pyga Stage's available in the classifieds and the LBS around the corner has a 2019 Stage available within my budget which would be ideal but for the fact that it comes with a 100mm fork where most new xc/trail focused bikes (including the newer Stage) start at 120mm.

Unless I stretch the budget a new Pyga is not an option but I've seen a few options from Titan and Scott that have 120mm travel but I've not been able to find a place that will let me demo either of them.

I understand (but could be wrong) that the Pyga frame has not changed since 2019 and so the old frame could be paired with a 120mm fork in the future but I'm not sure if I should look at a newer bike with 120mm standard instead?

Are there any other options available that I should be looking at? 

Thanks for any help :)

Hi 

I recently upgraded to a Pyga Stage Max through an insurance claim

I had a XC bike and fortunately all the components could move straight across in the build including the fork which had 120mm travel. The frame came with a new 140mm rear shock. 

The Stage has a 68.5deg and has 100 to 120 suspension travel and is more a XC type bike  while the Stage Max has a 67.5 deg head angle and 140mm travel and more suited to everyday riding

A pity you sold the Momsen as perhaps some of  your existing components could have moved across ....

Extremely happy with the Stage Max

Hi all

Looking to buy a new mountain bike after selling my trusty old Momsen AL329 just before lockdown. Would love to get a carbon dual suspension that can get me through the next 5+ years of riding.

With my Momsen I mostly rode the cradle loop, northern farms, the spruit and various other races and events around Jhb. I will continue to ride these kinds of places and trails but would also like to be a bit more comfortable and have a bit more fun.

My budget is around R60k and I've seen a few Pyga Stage's available in the classifieds and the LBS around the corner has a 2019 Stage available within my budget which would be ideal but for the fact that it comes with a 100mm fork where most new xc/trail focused bikes (including the newer Stage) start at 120mm.

Unless I stretch the budget a new Pyga is not an option but I've seen a few options from Titan and Scott that have 120mm travel but I've not been able to find a place that will let me demo either of them.

I understand (but could be wrong) that the Pyga frame has not changed since 2019 and so the old frame could be paired with a 120mm fork in the future but I'm not sure if I should look at a newer bike with 120mm standard instead?

Are there any other options available that I should be looking at? 

Thanks for any help :)

Hi Krepunk,

Also have similar questions like yours. I want move to a Fullsus and possibly ride longer distances. I'm looking at eventually doing 2 and 3 day stage tours, as well as riding distances locally of 50/60km. I see trek, scott, titan and merida have some good options. Pyga brand new, looks a bit too much for me. Wish I could test ride a Scott.

Edited by MarlonN

Hi

I run a Stage with an MRP fork set to 120 mm travel. I also run a longer rear shock which i think gives me an extra 10mm in the rear. Its called the mini max set up. Love it :)

I also ride mostly the Spruit and its more bike than i will ever need.

Marc

Thanks for the replies everyone! Sounds like Pyga is a favourite :) I've not read one bad thing about the brand here on the hub.

Hi Krepunk,

Also have similar questions like yours. I want move to a Fullsus and possibly ride longer distances. I'm looking at eventually doing 2 and 3 day stage tours, as well as riding distances locally of 50/60km. I see trek, scott, titan and merida have some good options. Pyga brand new, looks a bit too much for me. Wish I could test ride a Scott.

Yeah i've really struggled with test rides - the lockdown hasn't help either. I did check out the Trek bikes the other day, but the specs don't seem as good as the other options until you get closer to the R100K mark.

Do let me know if you find anything interesting :)

Just bought a stage off the hub and its the best! Mine has 100mm fork and still feels as good on JHB downhills as my Jeffsy did. Granted if you like big hits and rocks then a 140mm would be better but not too many of those around JHB.

Get the Stage, sell the 100mm and put a 120mm on if you want.

Edited by Nakoota

I ride a stage max. Recently got stolen so I did some extensive research and settled on a norco optic 2019.found a bargain at 60k from hotspot cycles. Then my Pyga was found... Had mixed feelings about that. Love the pyga but at 60k that norco really did look good!

130mm front, 110 rear, gx 12sp,fox factory suspension.

Worth checking out.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Sounds like Pyga is a favourite :) I've not read one bad thing about the brand here on the hub.

And its made in SA (both Alu and carbon)........

I ride a stage max. Recently got stolen so I did some extensive research and settled on a norco optic 2019.found a bargain at 60k from hotspot cycles. Then my Pyga was found... Had mixed feelings about that. Love the pyga but at 60k that norco really did look good!

130mm front, 110 rear, gx 12sp,fox factory suspension.

Worth checking out.

The Optic has less rear travel than the Fluid? That doesn't sound right ????

Stage is certainly a good choice. While 120mm is more of a standard now, a 100mm setup on the Stage is perfectly fine. I have a 120mm, but I run it as a 100mm during XCO season and then let it out to 120mm during the 'fun' season. Stage will take a 120mm up front, see what price the shop will give you with a 120mm fork. 

There are plenty of options out there, try as many as you can. If it's anything to go by, my Pyga has been super cheap to run. Hardly spent anything on pivots and bearings in 2.5 years and 17000km on it.