Shimano Rear Mech Short cage question

The Ouzo

CWC got back to me, not available from the importers catalogue.

If the deal I'm working on at work comes through I'll buy a new RD, otherwise I'll see what can be done to bring a cage into the country.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was July 2020. I fixed this by inserting another bolt and locktite'ing a nut on the other side.

This weekend I struggled to get my new rear tyre to seal, so I inserted a tube and visited Cycle Lab yesterday for new rim tape. They dont have any narrow tape in stock on the shelves, only a 100m roll that they use in the workshop, so today I dropped the bike off with them and made the rear tyre their problem.

I then get the dreaded call that something is wrong. Turns out as the technician pulled on the RD to put the wheel back in the second pulley wheel (i.e. not the one I fixed) tumbled down to the floor. Stripped thread.

Over the phone I thought it was the one i fixed, so I went and popped in with them to see, the one i fixed is holding strong.

Any hat, new RD on its way to the East Rand from the fourways branch, but it looks like it wont get here today, so I'll only get my bike back on Thursday :( 

On 8/8/2023 at 1:37 PM, The Ouzo said:

This was July 2020. I fixed this by inserting another bolt and locktite'ing a nut on the other side.

This weekend I struggled to get my new rear tyre to seal, so I inserted a tube and visited Cycle Lab yesterday for new rim tape. They dont have any narrow tape in stock on the shelves, only a 100m roll that they use in the workshop, so today I dropped the bike off with them and made the rear tyre their problem.

I then get the dreaded call that something is wrong. Turns out as the technician pulled on the RD to put the wheel back in the second pulley wheel (i.e. not the one I fixed) tumbled down to the floor. Stripped thread.

Over the phone I thought it was the one i fixed, so I went and popped in with them to see, the one i fixed is holding strong.

Any hat, new RD on its way to the East Rand from the fourways branch, but it looks like it wont get here today, so I'll only get my bike back on Thursday :( 

Be sure to leave a review (good or bad) in the Coolheat feedback post about Shimano; who knows, you could win something. 

So it looks for now that the bike shop fitted a shortcage RD instead of the medium cage RD.

The  box and invoice indicate this, I'll have to pull the bike onto the stand this afternoon and check the actual RD to make sure.

They may have put a longer derailleur hanger on but I need to check a little closer.

Will the shortcage with a longer hanger work properly on my 11-32 cassette ?

If not I'll be kicking up a little stink to get them to swap it out.

Did some checking. It is indeed an SS, and they did put a longer hanger on. 

the short piece of gear cable outer was sitting strange and way to long, and the cable end was frayed like crazy, so I shortened the outer and cleaned up the inner as well as putting and end cap on. 
re-tensioned and everything seems to work well, looks to be like there is enough clearance and the chain appear to wrap nicely around all gears in all combos. 

bumping this for monday morning, hoping some of the more experienced will be able to give some input.

On 8/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, The Ouzo said:

bumping this for monday morning, hoping some of the more experienced will be able to give some input.

Have never had much long term success with derailleur hanger extenders (personal experience), given it was on a mountain bike and a 10sp system, always found the last sprocket was a bit of a struggle on that setup. Also found the smallest sprocket had too much lateral play being a bit further removed from the sprocket with the extended hanger. It wouldn't shift into the 11t properly. 
System was using a new cable and outer as well.

If you still have the old cage, it may be worth getting someone to spot weld it and then retap the longer cage with the correct size bolt. 

On 8/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, The Ouzo said:

I am struggling or slow or lazy for not reading the post from 3 years ago. But anyway, is this issue on a road or mtb and how many gears? What throws me is the 11/32 which makes me think that it is a road bike but then you mention that you cannot get the wheel to seal. So is the query the fact that the rear mech doesn't want to go all the way to 32t? 

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Switcharoony

Can you post a pic of the derailleur and hanger please. 
generally derailleur hanger extenders don’t work very well because they flex a lot more than a derailleur designed to do the job. 

45 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I suspect we are dealing with a 10speed GS medium cage rear derailleur fitted to a 2x system?

Saw some mention of 5800 somewhere.
So would make it 11sp.

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Sorry guys

it’s a road bike, 11-32 and 34-50 

11sp 5800?