Which budget Wheelset

Horsey031

Hi there Hubbers,

Can anyone offer advice on some good budget Tom break wheelsets?

Firstly, is it worth my while to upgrade my Giant PR-2 wheels? Will I notice any difference?

I’m looking at some budget wheelsets but obviously open to suggestions.

Vision 35 alloy

Token 22A

Token EC40A

American Classic 350 Sprint

My only concern is weight on the vision 35 and token ec40a although they do offer some aero gains. Token 22A Are nice and light but I weigh 85kg and not sure if I’m too heavy for these. American Classic look great as they are light and UST but also cost much more.

Thanks and look forward to your advice!

Hi there Hubbers,

Firstly, is it worth my while to upgrade my Giant PR-2 wheels? Will I notice any difference?

The Giant PR-2 wheels are heavy but basically known to be bomb proof.

You will notice the difference with lighter wheels but if you are heavy you may have a problem getting suitable wheels.

Edited by porqui

The Giant PR-2 wheels are heavy but basically known to be bomb proof.

You will notice the difference with lighter wheels but if you are heavy you may have a problem getting suitable wheels.

The PR2 are definitely bomb proof.

I normally ride mtb but got my road bike a few months back. I haven’t had the chance to test out other wheelsets so I’m hoping I am making a good decision by upgrading.

The visions and token deep sections are both around the 1800g mark so not exactly light.

Hi there Hubbers,

Vision 35 alloy

Token 22A

Token EC40A

My only concern is weight on the vision 35 and token ec40a although they do offer some aero gains. Token 22A Are nice and light but I weigh 85kg and not sure if I’m too heavy for these. American Classic look great as they are light and UST but also cost much more.

I would rather save up and buy something better or keep what I have. I don’t think you’re really gonna upgrade much here. 

If I had to choose from the list I’d go for the one with deepest profiles as this is the part where you might actually feel a difference despite the additional weight. 

I’m pretty much in The same boat and decided to take Bob Marley’s advise and save a bit more. If you do pull the trigger the classics were on special. https://www.cyclelab.com/product/american-classic-sprint-350-tubeless-wheelset?utm_campaign=11013068295&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=461107209839&utm_term=&adgroupid=116511647668&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sz6BRDYARIsAPHzrNKvvDdaWl1B9f7kWT00h0iHTCl7Yhd4_-J4svhIqEgBL6GARH54rroaAvvmEALw_wcB

Hi there Hubbers,

Vision 35 alloy

Token 22A

Token EC40A

I’m pretty much in The same boat and decided to take Bob Marley’s advise and save a bit more. If you do pull the trigger the classics were on special. https://www.cyclelab.com/product/american-classic-sprint-350-tubeless-wheelset?utm_campaign=11013068295&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=461107209839&utm_term=&adgroupid=116511647668&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sz6BRDYARIsAPHzrNKvvDdaWl1B9f7kWT00h0iHTCl7Yhd4_-J4svhIqEgBL6GARH54rroaAvvmEALw_wcB

Thanks Peff. Good luck finding a wheelset. I am probably better off losing 5kg... but maybe saving for a good wheelset is also a good idea :-) 

I had a set of AM 350 Sprint. Damn those things were light.

Didn't American Classic close down a few years ago or did they find a buyer?

AC no longer making wheels if I'm correct. Maybe look at Rapide, locally built, good after sales, also tubeless. Or Fulcrum. If you're for sexy but cheap, goedkoop is duurkoop.

EURUS seems to be off the Campagnolo website. Seems to be discontinued.

I used mine for 15 years. There is an older set in the classifieds.

Campagnolo Eurus....lekka bomb proof and fast. :thumbup:

Life is too short to ride heavy wheels...

50mm carbon is the way to go.

On a more serious note, what type of riding do you do ? Fast group rides or just out having fun ?

Those Giant wheels are heavy, but I would suggest putting on some good fast rolling rubber. GP5000's or something similar. Bit cheaper than new wheels and you will feel a difference.

Campagnolo Eurus....lekka bomb proof and fast. :thumbup:

EURUS seems to be off the Campagnolo website. Seems to be discontinued.

I used mine for 15 years. There is an older set in the classifieds.

Just found the Eurus on EvoBikes for 17k, we just took my budget and tripled it  :wacko:

Surely at this price point we should be looking at Carbon clinchers? 

I went from a set of Giant S-X2 wheels on my Giant Revolt to a set of Fulcrum Racing 3 DB wheels. Dropped 600 grams off the wheels as a result. I can promise you, the difference is huge. Have a look in the classifieds for Marz Cycles, he has a few different Fulcrum wheels on sale which would save a lot of weight, whilst not breaking the bank too badly