Shimano M7100 12 spd - chain dropping off guide pulley

Andy_P

Hi Hubbers,

Recently installed a M7100 drivetrain on a new Epic frame. A few times now the chain has come off the guide pulley which is a bit of an issue. It happened twice on my last ride, I'm not sure what the exact case is that triggers this but it's usually when chain is about the middle of the cassette.

I made sure the chain length was correct when installing the kit and have checked the B-screw setting again. The derailleur hanger is brand new so assuming it's straight.

Otherwise, shifting is working perfectly and I've been very happy with the upgrade!

Any help or advice would be appreciated, I don't really know where to start with this one...

Edited by Andy_P

Does it happen with both the clutch on and off?

It has been happening with clutch ON, I don't really ever ride with the clutch off so can't say.

That is very strange indeed.

You could check the derailleur hanger but I’m not convinced it would be that.

Does the guide wheel spin freely?

What cassette and chain are you using?

That is very strange indeed.

You could check the derailleur hanger but I’m not convinced it would be that.

Does the guide wheel spin freely?

What cassette and chain are you using?

Just checked the guide wheel, it does spin freely.

M7100 cassette and chain, both with about 800km on them now. Chain has no tight links.

The kit was built over from my old Epic to a new frame so I'm pretty sure the hanger is OK, but will probably start with having this checked.

Could it be that the chain is too long? Can't imagine that this would cause a problem min the middle of the cassette, but would rather be at one of the extreme ends.

Too long would only be a problem around the 10t sprocket. Too short could be more of a problem.

I doubt the problem is with the chain.

Did you go from non-boost to boost or boost to super boost by chance? Chain line issue?

Too long would only be a problem around the 10t sprocket. Too short could be more of a problem.

Did you go from non-boost to boost or boost to super boost by chance? Chain line issue?

I did go from non-boost to boost, but with this installed a new Shimano XT M8100 crankset which I figured would be spot on with a 52mm chainline. The chainline looks pretty good in my opinion, will try post a picture of it later.

Check hanger alignment - new does not mean straight.

Also check for play in pulley bearings.

Thanks will start with that. Will take it to my LBS to check that out. I'm just trying to figure out what it might be before taking it to them as it seems like a difficult one to fault find.

I did notice some play in the tension pulley bearing, but didn't figure it would be an issue! You think it could be that? Pretty disappointing life on the pulley in that case, less than 1000km.

How are the teeth looking on the pulley's 

Looks fine to my untrained I, what do you say?

You can actually see how the pulley was scuffed by the chain when it dropped. The chain drops to the inside (hub side) of the guide pulley.

post-55393-0-94132100-1600842875.jpg

post-55393-0-63605400-1600842891_thumb.jpg

Difficult to get a picture of the chain line but this gives an idea.

post-55393-0-50046700-1600842989_thumb.jpg

post-55393-0-90070700-1600843000_thumb.jpg

Another option

how did you join the chain when you installed it to the new bike?

if not using a quick link, sometimes the joint where you break and/or subsequently rejoin the chain is a bit stiff....and my intuition tells me that it might maybe go all humpbacked over the tighter curves by the pully wheels and maybe thats why it climbs off? 

Dont know...just another thing to consider. If you did join it with a pressed link try and find it if it is stiff...and slightly bend it from side to side to free it up a bit. dont hulk it....just some side tention on the stiff link will free it up if it is indeed that.

if not...then ignore me lol

Incorrect quicklink maybe? SRAM instead of Shimano one?

Doubt that will cause it, I run a SRAM link on my M7100 chain, haven't had any issues, I run it like that so that I don't need the Hyperglide Chainring