Berg Rivier Dam Trails - Franschoek

Beer4Recovery

I rose those as part of a race, load of fun, not easy especially in hot weather. Lots of loose narrow trails near cliff edges.

I think in the context of getting mugged alone will be safe, in pretty much every other safety related aspect I would not. Your in the middle of nowhere with very limited, if any vehicle accessibility and besides that if you do fall odds of you going all the way down to the damn are probably better than not.

Many of us at the end describes as one of the most beautiful races we never saw, as you can never take your eyes off the trail in front of you. You only checking the view when you standing still.

In the same boat! The local cycle shop is brilliant and has given us great directions. Sounds like a must!

We have done those roads in 4x4 ... rehabilited the roads a few years ago.

STUNNING area !!

I have looked at doing the trail on a bike .... buy the permit in town, drive out, park your vehicle, then go do the trails ...

I was not comfortable with the parking area ... really hope to hear from others, is this a safe spot ?

The other option would be to park in town, and add a good few km to your trip ...

Either way ... it IS a bucket list trail !!

ENJOY

Some very nice ST trails, but can get dangerous on the right hand side if looking at the front of the Dam wall. Park at Hey Joe's Brewery 3km before town & head towards the mountain on the sand road. Not sure how good the markings are these days. Once you done, head back to Hey Joe's for for the recovery beer. You might bump into some cycling royalty there as well. Other routes to consider with a short drive..... Boschendal, Jonkershoek, Hero adventure trails (Paarl) & a bit further out is Wild Boar Trails in Wellington. Just for safety, in case of accident, always ride with somebody.

Banhoek Conservancy has

Trails, and Bartinney has an awesome descent down the back slope of Botmaskop, called Skyfall.

Edited by Christie

Did it yesterday. No safety issues (been in the area for 15 yrs). Lots of rocky sections - damaged more than a few rims. Possible to find some snakes (puffy) on the trails. Not very technical but access in case of rescue not easy. Also the reason behind relative safety ito crime.

Four main sections (two around Matoppie) and two at dam's inflow. One circle route called snake alley and the second in and back. For those inclined to do some hiking whilst cycling many more options. Some really stunning sections when you opt for cycling/hiking. Only issue is these are even more remote.

Edited by vanniri

Did it yesterday. No safety issues (been in the area for 15 yrs). Lots of rocky sections - damaged more than a few rims. Possible to find some snakes (puffy) on the trails. Not very technical but access in case of rescue not easy. Also the reason behind relative safety ito crime.

Four main sections (two around Matoppie) and two at dam's inflow. One circle route called snake alley and the second in and back. For those inclined to do some hiking whilst cycling many more options. Some really stunning sections when you opt for cycling/hiking. Only issue is these are even more remote.

Any particular reason it’s called ‘snake alley’?