E-Bike Safety

dev  null

Lets start the debate. Not my intention to start a Friday thread. This is important stuff.

Edited by Moridin

a genuine query here.

all ebikes/pedal assist with a larger than 250W motor are not RSA road legal, correct?

what happens if you are in an accident with one of these on a road, will medical aid cover you?

a genuine query here.

all ebikes/pedal assist with a larger than 250W motor are not RSA road legal, correct?

what happens if you are in an accident with one of these on a road, will medical aid cover you?

That is one reason why I started this debate. Maybe someone on the forum might know. Myles?

Lets start the debate. Not my intention to start a Friday thread. This is important stuff.

Brilliant Video, thanks for sharing

a genuine query here.

I did not know this... Where is that stated?

Here's an oft quoted text:

The current legislation on e-bikes extends to Notice 77 of 2015 to the NATIONAL ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 1996 (ACT NO.93 OF 1996). It states that by the substitution for the definition of "pedal cycle" of the following definition: ""pedal cycle" means any bicycle or tricycle designed for propulsion solely by means of human power, or any bicycle or tricycle with operable pedals and an electric motor providing a maximum net power output of 250 watts. The electric motor may not be capable of propelling the bicycle or tricycle unassisted at a speed exceeding 25km/h on a level surface".

Further, the South African Bureau of Standards with the SANS 311/2007 standard specifies a Category L vehicle as a vehicle that does not require a license. Included in category L vehicles is a vehicle with maximum continuous rated power of 0,25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner.

In summary, South African legislation has only made significant provision for E-bikes that are bicycles with pedals, have continuous power not exceeding 250watt and do not exceed 25km/h.

Edited by cfcjim

Did some googling .... seems the rules have been promulgated in 2020 already, see attached.

Extracting from this :

(q) by the substitution for the definition of ‘‘pedal cycle’’ of the following definition: ‘‘

‘pedal cycle’ means—

(a) any bicycle or tricycle designed for propulsion solely by means of human power; or

(b) any bicycle or tricycle with operable pedals and an electric motor with a total weight that does not exceed 30kg: Provided that the electric motor may not be capable of propelling the bicycle or tricycle unassisted at a speed not exceeding 25km/h;’’;

I did not find any reference to the "250W", only the speed limit.  (Only scanned the document, so the 250W may be in there somewhere ...)

So YES, e-bikes are legal in SA, subject to the weight and speed limit.

With the typical ebike in the order of 23 to 25kg, the weight limit is a non issue.

European e-bikes are already restricted to 25km/h, and thus compliant.  E-bikes from America come in at 20mph, or 32km/h, ... uhm ja .... would be interesting to hear if the importers can re-program it to comply .... 

PS - commuting with the e-bike I reach certain top-speeds on the downhill sections, and do exactly the same when commuting on the old hardtail.  The main advantage of the ebike is that you can maintain a decent speed up-hill.  My trip time and average speeds are very similar between the two bikes .... just the amount of sweat I build up ....  So a standard ebike certainly is no different to another bicycle in terms of safety.  

b7-2020nationalroadtraffic.pdf

Did some googling .... seems the rules have been promulgated in 2020 already, see attached.

Extracting from this :

(q) by the substitution for the definition of ‘‘pedal cycle’’ of the following definition: ‘‘

‘pedal cycle’ means—

(a) any bicycle or tricycle designed for propulsion solely by means of human power; or

(b) any bicycle or tricycle with operable pedals and an electric motor with a total weight that does not exceed 30kg: Provided that the electric motor may not be capable of propelling the bicycle or tricycle unassisted at a speed not exceeding 25km/h;’’;

I did not find any reference to the "250W", only the speed limit.  (Only scanned the document, so the 250W may be in there somewhere ...)

So YES, e-bikes are legal in SA, subject to the weight and speed limit.

With the typical ebike in the order of 23 to 25kg, the weight limit is a non issue.

European e-bikes are already restricted to 25km/h, and thus compliant.  E-bikes from America come in at 20mph, or 32km/h, ... uhm ja .... would be interesting to hear if the importers can re-program it to comply .... 

PS - commuting with the e-bike I reach certain top-speeds on the downhill sections, and do exactly the same when commuting on the old hardtail.  The main advantage of the ebike is that you can maintain a decent speed up-hill.  My trip time and average speeds are very similar between the two bikes .... just the amount of sweat I build up ....  So a standard ebike certainly is no different to another bicycle in terms of safety.  

little bit confused here.

by the substitution for the definition of ‘‘motor vehicle’’ of the following definition:

‘‘ ‘motor vehicle’ means any self-propelled vehicle, and includes—

(a) a trailer; and

(b) a vehicle having pedals and an engine or an electric motor as an integral part thereof or attached thereto and which is designed or adapted to be propelled by means of such pedals, engine or electric motor, or both such pedals [and], engine or electric motor, but does not include—

(i) any vehicle propelled by electrical power derived from storage batteries and which is controlled by a pedestrian; [or]

(ii) any vehicle with a mass not exceeding 230 [kilograms] kg and specially designed and constructed, and not merely

(iii) a pedal cycle having pedals and an engine or an electrical motor as an integral part thereof with a maximum design speed not exceeding 45 km/h;’’;

by the substitution for the definition of ‘‘motor vehicle’’ of the following definition:

(a) a trailer; and

(b) a vehicle having pedals and an engine or an electric motor as an integral part thereof or attached thereto and which is designed or adapted to be propelled by means of such pedals, engine or electric motor, or both such pedals [and], engine or electric motor, but does not include—

(i) any vehicle propelled by electrical power derived from storage batteries and which is controlled by a pedestrian; [or]

(ii) any vehicle with a mass not exceeding 230 [kilograms] kg and specially designed and constructed, and not merely

(iii) a pedal cycle having pedals and an engine or an electrical motor as an integral part thereof with a maximum design speed not exceeding 45 km/h;’’;

Note the 45km/h.  So if your "e-bike" can assist to above 25 km/h it is defined as a "motor vehicle" .... thus road worthy, registration, vehicle license, drivers license, etc ....

NOT sure what happens with an "electric cycle" that can exceed 45km/h, by means of the motor assist.

Seems the colony has again just copied the European rules ....

Oooh, this is juicy.

So next time I do the CT Cycle Tour and an e-bike comes past me on the Blue Route while I am hammering it at 50 km/h, I will have to flag him down since he is transgressing the law by being on a public road with an unlicenced vehicle.  :clap:

Edited by Moridin

(a) a trailer; and

the blue words preceding your red words, to my understanding, means what is in red does NOT constitute a motor vehicle

Oooh, this is juicy.

So next time I do the CT Cycle Tour and an e-bike comes past me on the Blue Route while I am hammering it at 50 km/h, I will have to flag him down since he is transgressing the law by being on a public road with an unlicenced vehicle.  :clap:

MAYBE he just has strong legs ..... or a lekka down hill .....

MAYBE he just has strong legs ..... or a lekka down hill .....

But the law says he is not allowed to go faster than 45km/h.  :ph34r:

But the law says he is not allowed to go faster than 45km/h.  :ph34r:

NOPE .... wrong interpretation AND wrong section ....  :whistling:

This section relates what IS an ebike :

‘pedal cycle’ means—

The ASSIST must cut out 25km/h.  Under your own steam there is no limit .....

Now try to explain THAT to a "difficult cop" ....  :eek:   :cursing:

HKGK !!

NOPE .... wrong interpretation AND wrong section .... :whistling:

This section relates what IS an ebike :

‘pedal cycle’ means—

The ASSIST must cut out 25km/h. Under your own steam there is no limit .....

Now try to explain THAT to a "difficult cop" .... :eek: :cursing:

HKGK !!

Not totally,

It's confusing.

The bit in red is under motor vehicle. it seems that your ebike can change definition depending on how fast you can pedal it/go downhill