Crankset question

Chadvdw67

Just "finished" building up a monstercross bike, but the Crankset I have on it is not ideal, it is a 3x FSA crankset, but I am running it as a 2x setup, and in doing so the chain line is not great so I would like to replace it with a proper 2x crankset, I might be able to get a 2x11 crankset from a friend, but I am running 2x10, so I would like to know if I can run the 2x11 crankset with the 10speed cassette and chain?

Just "finished" building up a monstercross bike, but the Crankset I have on it is not ideal, it is a 3x FSA crankset, but I am running it as a 2x setup, and in doing so the chain line is not great so I would like to replace it with a proper 2x crankset, I might be able to get a 2x11 crankset from a friend, but I am running 2x10, so I would like to know if I can run the 2x11 crankset with the 10speed cassette and chain?

I have a 2x10 specific crankset you can maybe swap for?

26/42 gearing.

Inbox me

Also 3x cranks work just fine on 2 x setups. The middle chain ring chain line is in the centre of the cassette which allows the use of the entire cassette sprocket range.

I have a 2x10 specific crankset you can maybe swap for?

26/42 gearing.

Inbox me

Thanks Jewy, looking for something along the lines of a 32/48 or 34/50

Actually, this may work, do you know if the 26 can be changed to like a 30 or 32?

Edited by Chadvdw67

There is no such thing as an 10, 11, 12spd crank. They are either 1x, 2x, or 3x. The chainrings you fit just need to make sense for the cassete / gear range you have on the cassette.

Shimano website says it is a 2x11, also doesn't make sense to me, so I wanted to find out from people who know more than me

Edited by Chadvdw67

Also 3x cranks work just fine on 2 x setups. The middle chain ring chain line is in the centre of the cassette which allows the use of the entire cassette sprocket range.

I thought it would as well, maybe a "hollowtech" type crank would work, but this BB is similar to a square taper BB, and I think it is to wide, so it is well past the centre of the cassette

Thanks Jewy, looking for something along the lines of a 32/48 or 34/50

Actually, this may work, do you know if the 26 can be changed to like a 30 or 32?

Is it an MTB frame?

If so, road cranks won't fit as their Q factor isn't wide enough.

If it's an MTB frame (monster cross bike) then the only way to achieve this is to buy a set of direct mount cranks and find a compact road spider, while still making sure the chainrings clear the stays.

The bike I'm building has had some reconstructive surgery to fit either a 42 or a compact direct mount spider to some mtb cranks.

The Rapide crank arms are R999 which are cheaper than most 2nd hand options and come in 170mm (which would be the answer for a loaded bike).

Is it an MTB frame?

If so, road cranks won't fit as their Q factor isn't wide enough.

If it's an MTB frame (monster cross bike) then the only way to achieve this is to buy a set of direct mount cranks and find a compact road spider, while still making sure the chainrings clear the stays.

The bike I'm building has had some reconstructive surgery to fit either a 42 or a compact direct mount spider to some mtb cranks.

The Rapide crank arms are R999 which are cheaper than most 2nd hand options and come in 170mm (which would be the answer for a loaded bike).

Ah, I did not know this, it is an oldish 26" MTB frame, so my search will continue

Ah, I did not know this, it is an oldish 26" MTB frame, so my search will continue

You are welcome to try the 42/26 cranks.

The chain rings are new and it means you can run an 11-28 cassette and still have a good granny

You are welcome to try the 42/26 cranks.

The chain rings are new and it means you can run an 11-28 cassette and still have a good granny

Sent you a message ????