2 x 11 to 1 x 11

Johankrugersa1

HI Guys

I currently have a 2 x 11 xt setup on my bike 11 x 42 for cassette and 34 x 24 on the front.

My bigger chainring is due for replacement an I have been thinking that I never used my smaller chainring, will it work to just remove the smaller chainring and the derailleur to have a 1 x 11 setup? and then buy a 1 x 11 specific chainring to convert to 1 x 11? Or isnt it as simple as that?  :ph34r:

Yes, it will be that simple. Get yourself a Narrow Wide or 1x specific ring (Oval or round) - my opinion is that a 34T oval will provide you with a better riding experience than a round 34T. But that's just my opinion. 

So then all you do is remove the small ring, front shifter, front derailleur and Bob's your auntie.

HI Guys

I currently have a 2 x 11 xt setup on my bike 11 x 42 for cassette and 34 x 24 on the front.

My bigger chainring is due for replacement an I have been thinking that I never used my smaller chainring, will it work to just remove the smaller chainring and the derailleur to have a 1 x 11 setup? and then buy a 1 x 11 specific chainring to convert to 1 x 11? Or isnt it as simple as that?  :ph34r:

Hi Guys.

that was my thinking as well. Thanks for the comments, will definitely give it a shot and will also look into the oval chainrings.

Just make sure you have a Clutch type derailer, it helps a lot with Chaindrops.

I wore mine out, they say it was the oval, the internet’s however torn on that. #Shrug

HI Guys

I changed my 29" to 1x12 from 2x10 no issues.  Also my 26" I changed from 3x9 to 1x11 also no issues.

Just get a NW (narrow wide) chainring that fit on you crank and you good to go.  Fit it on the inside of the larger mount and not the outside for a better chain line.

Edited by TheoG

Or go for a 26 / 38 up front this will increase your range from 0.57 / 3.09 to 0.62 / 3.45 - that's 12% more top-end. I personally never understood that 2x11 gearing with 24 / 34 up front.

Or go for a 26 / 38 up front this will increase your range from 0.57 / 3.09 to 0.62 / 3.45 - that's 12% more top-end. I personally never understood that 2x11 gearing with 24 / 34 up front.

I do agree, the 34 on the front is just to small, i was actually thinking of getting a 36 or 38 tooth for the front.

I do agree, the 34 on the front is just to small, i was actually thinking of getting a 36 or 38 tooth for the front.

Nino rides a 38, go for that.

Lees ek reg n 38 voor? Ek is te efentjies vir dit.... wow

Ek het vir n lang ruk 38 voor gehad mar is nou op 36, het 'n paar berge raak gery wat 38 net nie werk nie :eek: .  36 x 10-51

I think I will go for the 36t, my father in law is on a 1 x 12, 38t in front and he is very happy with it, except for when he did the wine2whales about 2 years ago, he said he could have done with a 36t in front.

11*42 cassette I would not go bigger than 34 in front.

Remember you are losing your granny gear.(Which you never use.)

The Time will come when you need to climb something steep.

Edited by dasilvarsa