Titus RacerX restoration

4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

probably a bit late here, but they definitely did not fold. eventually got bought by the on-one/planetx crowd and are still around.

you might have been able to get logos form them as they seem to have stuck with the brand roots. 

https://www.planetx.co.uk/titus

Chris Cocalis left Titus bikes around 2007 mostly because he became disillusioned with the industry and his investors who wanted to push the company into a more mainstream brand. He actually built custom 29ers way back in 2005 already and I recall Gavin Rossouw used one for 24hr World Champs in 2007 or 2008. The brand had huge pedigree in the first decade of this century.

The spirit of Titus lives on in Pivot Bikes, Chris's latest venture started in 2012.

Planet X bought the brand from its previous owners at auction around 2015/16 and are focussed on marketing Titanium frames They did buy the factory in Tempe, Arizona so they may very well be built by the same hands who made Titus Al and Ti frames

Found  this bit of info:

Titus didn’t do any actual frame building in Tempe. With the popularity of carbon fiber, the company depended on overseas suppliers for its carbon bikes. All the aluminum frames were welded in Portland, Oregon and shipped to Arizona for final assembly and quality control. Most titanium was similarly outsourced.

Edited by DieselnDust

As I asked on the other thread .... price tag for a titus ? Want to put mine up in the classifieds.

8 hours ago, Slowbee said:

oh man such cool pics.

But I see you yours and I raise in mine ...

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-12 at 20.21.23 (5).jpeg

Awesome!!  It is a damn sight better than the one I got for my son. It looks to be in great shape. 

Edited by Mars1967

7 hours ago, Shebeen said:

probably a bit late here, but they definitely did not fold. eventually got bought by the on-one/planetx crowd and are still around.

you might have been able to get logos form them as they seem to have stuck with the brand roots. 

https://www.planetx.co.uk/titus

Thank you for the correction. I could find preciously little on the Internet but found one article somewhere stating they went bust. This seemed to fit in with the limited information. I stand corrected, and in awe of the current range I might add. 

Edited by Mars1967

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

wowzeers that is a heck of a nice restoration job. Superb machine for a young teenager as well. Those bikes were probably one of the few FS XCo bikes that didn't bob and still delivered the best tractive effort. Wishing your kid many many happy km's on that bike, signed <envious>

Thank you for the compliments. I don’t think he realises what he has yet. At least it is religiously cleaned and parked in the bike stand, rather than forgotten on the lawn. 

17 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

mint condition?

No, it is in almost brand new showroom condition. Only done 10 or so S2C's, desert dashes and other random country roads.

2 hours ago, Slowbee said:

No, it is in almost brand new showroom condition. Only done 10 or so S2C's, desert dashes and other random country roads.

Ah barely used then. Should be a keeper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Beautiful project. If you still have the files for the vinyl cutting, I would really love to have them, if you don't mind sharing - I'm considering respraying my frame as well sometime next year. You can see more info on it here:

1 hour ago, Mars1967 said:

I obviously do not have the Motolite design but you are welcome to the other designs. DM me you email address and I will send the files on.

Thank you, done!