Genuine Parts or cheap knockoff

Mike Mac

Hi

I recently bought some Shimano stuff online. The package arrived today and the chain and quick links were in Shimano branded packaging, as one would expect. However, the Cassette (Shimano Ultegra CS-R8000) I ordered came in an unbranded box? I attach a photo of the box and cassette. 

I also attach a photo of a branded Shimano box  that I downloaded from the internet, that is what I would have expected. 

So my question is, did I receive the genuine Shimano Cassette I ordered or some cheap copy? 

Your thoughts would be appreciated, particularly from anyone who deals with Shimano regularly. 

F23E4E0F-DD0D-4E6D-AAE1-25E6C3639DD7.jpeg

FF30DCCF-7FA8-4238-A997-9951E1BB0C43.jpeg

ECB0EA66-77BB-49CE-BB0D-90E80CBC1FC7.png

A9E6D9EF-EEF8-4310-B570-7B6C2B689B5E.jpeg

Likely just OEM. Can't recall the last time I received a cassette in its 'original' packaging when ordering from overseas. Chains also usually in just a plastic bag. Never an issue as I dump the packaging straight after installation.

Yup. Someone pulled a naughty move and sold you OEM products instead of Retail.

Exactly the same stuff just different packaging. Theoretically OEM products should never hit retail space but yeah - manufacturers sell old groups and dodgy folk buy bulk from Shimano based on being a manufacturer but then sell directly to the public.

3 hours ago, Mike Mac said:

Hi

I recently bought some Shimano stuff online. The package arrived today and the chain and quick links were in Shimano branded packaging, as one would expect. However, the Cassette (Shimano Ultegra CS-R8000) I ordered came in an unbranded box? I attach a photo of the box and cassette. 

I also attach a photo of a branded Shimano box  that I downloaded from the internet, that is what I would have expected. 

So my question is, did I receive the genuine Shimano Cassette I ordered or some cheap copy? 

Your thoughts would be appreciated, particularly from anyone who deals with Shimano regularly. 

F23E4E0F-DD0D-4E6D-AAE1-25E6C3639DD7.jpeg

The gruppo I bought from Merlin arrived in boxes like that. 

I didn't think anything of it except that its less non recyclable packaging to throw away.

i've bought shimano stuff like this from CWC even lol. no biggy.

in plastic bags...unbranded boxes. Obviously OEM.

From Merlin it is 'luck of the draw' i've found...sometime's they come in retail packaging...sometimes OEM. Doesnt bother me one bit. As stated...retail packaging is just more crap to throw away. Always the same stuff inside though. I ordered 2x GRX cranks in the last year, one was in retail packaging and the other was in OEM. the OEM packaging was smaller/more compact....so i'm sure it helps with shipping costs too ito volume.

Edited by MORNE