Consumer rights & recourse with large global corporates?

rudi-h

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/10/2022 at 12:49 PM, BigDL said:

SA prices for lots of stuff are eyewatering. God knows how the average Joe survives. Ref smartphones, gamins etc, it is hard to see how these prices can be justified in any way, shape or form. Premium or otherwise, 40k for a phone is a shocker 

iPhone 13 costs the same here as in the UK, in fact about a grand cheaper here like for like on the 128gb iPhone 13. Difference not so much outright cost, it’s purchasing power as many others have stated. 

In the UK 900 quid although not cheap is within reach for most of the middle class for a once every 2 year splurge, without leaving the pantry empty for a month or two. In SA, 20k is more than most of the middle classes take home salary for a month.

On 2/11/2022 at 3:40 PM, rudi-h said:

Latest (and likely final) update

I received an email yesterday saying that they tested the watch and it's working just fine...  I almost fell of my chair.  After claiming that no repairs are possible and 2 weeks of emails, calls and drama it's just working again?  I thought they were joking, so I just drove there earlier today to pick it up and truesbob, it's working just like the day I bought it... (still need to test battery life, but all good on face value)

How did they fix it? - Apparently they installed some beta software upgrade/downgrade, which confirms that this whole failure was purely caused by buggy software...  That begs the question that if buggy software is such a big issue, why don't they just do their software reinstall magic before sending a R4k quote for replacement?  What would have happened if I didn't bitch and moan? - I would have no doubt pi$$ed R4k down the drain to replace something that was never broken.

So some advice should your own Garmin fail:

- Ask them to do a software upgrade / downgrade

- Don't just accept the first quote, it might be worth digging deeper

- Garmin initially seemed like a faceless organization.  Via phone and email I could not get past the call centre who frankly were not really interested in anything other than offering me the R4k replacement deal.  Only after my insistence to speak to a senior service consultant in person did I get through to a team of people who are qualified and capable to resolve these issues.  These people do exist and I must acknowledge that they were helpful and supportive.

Not sure if this leaves me as a happy customer, because I do feel that I had to "fight" in order not to get shafted.  Similarly, it would be unfair to claim that the outcome was not satisfactory and that Garmin SA did not offer support.  I'll go edit my posts on the other thread to align with this sentiment.

Glad your sorted. Crazy that the software reset/flash wasn’t the first point of action. 

21 hours ago, Forthelove said:

Had bad service from Garmin, big attitude to deal with.. never the less product is good. I think Apple offering, the next new 2023 Apple watch will make most sports watches close to redundant. 

Sure You can’t be serious? Apple watches are fashion accessories with some sports functionality. They aren’t and don’t try to be nearly as tough as a top end garmin or suunto outdoor sports watch. They are not made to take knocks at all, and if you consider the actual tech inside the watches is mass produced and pretty cheap, the apple watches are insanely expensive compared to the mil spec devices from garmin and the like.