99er race entries closed (DISASTER)

Karlhub

19 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

In Cape Town "tonight" is kinda only slightly tighter than Manjana manjana in Spain.

closest I can think of in French is "demain matin"..

Synonyms for tonight include:

now now

Just now

possibly

basically.

this link my help you out..or it may not

https://www.goodthingsguy.com/fun/now-now-just-now/

took me a while to understand that "now now" wasn't more "now" than just "now", but now if "tonight" means "anything between now and tomorrow" I don't know what to think anymore...

And no, "demain matin" means "tomorrow morning", not tonight, not in three days, not possibly never 🙄, only thing is for us morning ends at 12:00, I'm assuming in SA noon is already late afternoon since you guys wake up so early and finish work when we come back from lunch 🤣

Edited by Jbr

36 minutes ago, Jbr said:

took me a while to understand that "now now" wasn't more "now" than just "now", but now if "tonight" means "anything between now and tomorrow" I don't know what to think anymore...

And no, "demain matin" means "tomorrow morning", not tonight, not in three days, not possibly never 🙄, only thing is for us morning ends at 12:00, I'm assuming in SA noon is already late afternoon since you guys wake up so early and finish work when we come back from lunch 🤣

tonight means anything from the time the sun goes down to the time the sun comes back up the other side...so it could mean tonight tonight or tomorrow morning.

In Cape Town Morning ends at lunch time which can't be later than 12:59 and noon is anytime between 11:30 for 12:00 and 13:00 for 13:30

i hope that clears it up

31 minutes ago, Jbr said:

hahahaha I worked for a French company full of French people for years. 

I'd have done a days work before they had finished having coffee, croissants and cigarettes!

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahaha I worked for a French company full of French people for years. 

I'd have done a days work before they had finished having coffee, croissants and cigarettes!

sounds like most people I know over there yes 🤣

At the moment, and the time difference ads to it, but feels like I've had time to do a 2 hour workout, take my kid to school and work 2-3 hours before they even start working at our french offices ;)

Edited by Jbr

50 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

tonight means anything from the time the sun goes down to the time the sun comes back up the other side...so it could mean tonight tonight or tomorrow morning.

In Cape Town Morning ends at lunch time which can't be later than 12:59 and noon is anytime between 11:30 for 12:00 and 13:00 for 13:30

i hope that clears it up

So please explain the the phrase: "Vanaand gaan ons braai"

52 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

So please explain the the phrase: "Vanaand gaan ons braai"

this is generally code for "get my beer woman and slip into your cossie"

Edited by DieselnDust

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

the emailing said "tonight", as far as I know 3:30 isn't tonight

I know I'm being super pedantic here, but I'm not sure what emailing you're talking about.

I checked my mail, last one I got from 99er was on the 26th of Jan. Said exactly the same as the website.

Maybe you got confused by the CTCT who advertised their entries as closing at midnight.

Either way, I'm not really that hung up on when or when not the 99er entries closed, the OP clearly got in and learnt his lesson. My main point is people need to actually commit and not wait for the last minute. Seems like all of a sudden cape town is a windy city and you only enter a road race at the last possible minute if the conditions are pristine. Seems like all of a sudden it rains in winter and you don't commit to a mtb race until you know there won't be any mud as drivetrains are k$K expensive these days.

image.png

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I know I'm being super pedantic here, but I'm not sure what emailing you're talking about.

I checked my mail, last one I got from 99er was on the 26th of Jan. Said exactly the same as the website.

Maybe you got confused by the CTCT who advertised their entries as closing at midnight.

Either way, I'm not really that hung up on when or when not the 99er entries closed, the OP clearly got in and learnt his lesson. My main point is people need to actually commit and not wait for the last minute. Seems like all of a sudden cape town is a windy city and you only enter a road race at the last possible minute if the conditions are pristine. Seems like all of a sudden it rains in winter and you don't commit to a mtb race until you know there won't be any mud as drivetrains are k$K expensive these days.

image.png

image.png.79a72b16b7b8fec0b5f2c6fdac8b978b.png

Received yesterday at 14:15

Anyways, when you say entries close the 7th without giving any precisions, people expect it's midnight. 

No need to argue, the OP managed to enter as it was just a glitch, and the organiser did really close the entries in the evening, like everone(else) understood it was going to be

Edited by Jbr

39 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

image.png

Something to warm your heart Shebeen - just saw a panicked post on my club watsapp group from someone that waited for the last minute to enter the KarooBurn, only to find out now that the event is now unexpectedly sold out...

I share your dislike for the last minute crowd but I do think your rant on the OP is a bit misguided, clearly someone at Racetec jumped the gun and closed the online portal too early. That said, if you tend to wait until the last day to enter an event you take the risk of things going wrong.

18 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Something to warm your heart Shebeen - just saw a panicked post on my club watsapp group from someone that waited for the last minute to enter the KarooBurn, only to find out now that the event is now unexpectedly sold out...

I share your dislike for the last minute crowd but I do think your rant on the OP is a bit misguided, clearly someone at Racetec jumped the gun and closed the online portal too early. That said, if you tend to wait until the last day to enter an event you take the risk of things going wrong.

I think this is the case, I missed Winelands cut off at 9am, my mate told me to try anyway, I think it was 10am or 11am already & Bobs Your Uncle I was in. I was rather miffed though but FOMO got the better of me and I followed through to make the payment.

1 hour ago, FootballingCyclist said:

After all that has been said, Can I still enter the 99er🤔

yup, looks like it is still open! https://online.entries.co.za/entries/routes.aspx and you can even get TShirts at R120 a pop.

35 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I share your dislike for the last minute crowd but I do think your rant on the OP is a bit misguided, clearly someone at Racetec jumped the gun and closed the online portal too early. 

I think my rant was probably directed at the heading, calling it a (DISASTER) when you were slapgat is always going to raise my heckles.

The karooburn looks like a real sufferfest, your mate did himself a favour there.