Rox 11.0 or Garmin 130+

AllenH

Hi all,

There is a Rox 11.0 available brand new for R1500 with no sensors and Sportsman's has a Garmin 130+ on its own that I could get for around R2k brand new with the use of a voucher.

All I want is accurate after ride map uploads to Strava, something my current Wahoo Mini doesn't do and the ability to upload a trail map so I can do Race to the Sun next year.

Both take ANT+ and BT Sensors so the sensor story isn't an issue.

Are there any features on either that make one of them stand out more than the other? I'm a weekend warrior when the weather is good but looking to be a bit more serious about riding.

4 minutes ago, AllenH said:

Hi all,

There is a Rox 11.0 available brand new for R1500 with no sensors and Sportsman's has a Garmin 130+ on its own that I could get for around R2k brand new with the use of a voucher.

All I want is accurate after ride map uploads to Strava, something my current Wahoo Mini doesn't do and the ability to upload a trail map so I can do Race to the Sun next year.

Both take ANT+ and BT Sensors so the sensor s.tory isn't an issue.

Are there any features on either that make one of them stand out more than the other? I'm a weekend warrior when the weather is good but looking to be a bit more serious about riding.

I've got quite a few of my mates onto the Sigma ROX11.0

None have had problems with their unit. They're all long out of warranty now. A very fit and forget device. The included software is used to set up the unit and manage your training data. Takes a bit of time to get the hang of the logic if you're coming off a Garmin.

However, reliable is a word I would associate with the Sigma. If you could spring cash for the Sigma Rox 12.0 you won't be disappointed

Sigma Rox 11, great value for money, does all the things you need, Strava etc and power if you have the cranks or pedals. You won't go wrong with German engineering. 

The Garmin 130 has waaaay more features and has customizable fields..and can follow a basic trail...

The ROX is just a simple cycle computer...

Allen when I saw your thread my first reaction was stay away from Garmin, noting your recent experience.

Then again .... Healthy living and recording rides, walks, sleep, yada yada becomes a topic in its own ....

For better or worse it is easier to have all your data on one platform, for the average person.  (serious athletes do tend to merge data to a platform of their coaches preference)

Having your watch and cycling computer in the same brand certainly has benefits.

I started with a Polar watch, then also got a Garmin cycling computer .... complicating things unnecesarily ....

Since then I have settled on Garmin for a watch and Garmin cycling computers.

As for the 130 - very happy with the one we have.  If my 520 needs replacement I may well consider getting a 130 for myself.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:23 AM, Eddy Gordo said:

Garmin 130+ has mtb dynamics. So basically will record your the jumps that you hit.

Yeah that’s a great feature. It goes off all the way down main road to cape point but stays silent in Tokai. Really useful piece of software…<sarcasm off>

On 2/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, guidodg said:

The Garmin 130 has waaaay more features and has customizable fields..and can follow a basic trail...

The ROX is just a simple cycle computer...

The Rox data fields are customisable as well. All via the included software. It displays 6 fields per page. It has navigation through turn prompts not moving maps. 
Mira not a “simple cycle computer”

Thank you all for the advice,

Decided to go with the Garmin 130+ because I like their app and wanted to keep everything in one place as ChrisF mentioned, especially since I'm looking into moving to a Garmin watch next.

I bought the Edge 130+ HRM bundle on special for R3999, partly because I wanted the Heartrate Band for my other training and because I had a R100 Birthday Voucher and a Twosday Mystery Voucher from Cycle Lab which turned out to be worth nothing.

Congratulations 

When choosing the watch .... consider getting one with Garmin Pay 😁

Think I used my wallet 3 times in the last 18 months.

Great choice. After I had to replace the 520 I went for the 130. Liked the compact nature of the device and defiantly not short of features. 

Should you get an supporting garmin watch, you can use extended display. Basically like a custom layout, but allows you to display various types of data on the watch and computer respectively. 

On 2/11/2022 at 9:23 AM, Eddy Gordo said:

Garmin 130+ has mtb dynamics. So basically will record your the jumps that you hit.

I enjoy climb pro which shows hill grade automatically on any climb on a pre loaded route. MTB dynamics is a lot more fun than it’s given credit for, don’t hurt yourself trying to increase jump length on your regular track though.

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Congratulations 

When choosing the watch .... consider getting one with Garmin Pay 😁

Think I used my wallet 3 times in the last 18 months.

Isn't there a cap you can "tap" using the watch? I haven't spotted anywhere where one can use Garmin Pay other than 1 local Seattle Coffee.