13 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I don't see that working in a 5-6 hour week (150km ?) + 2 intensity days AND a tempo long ride is more or less what I do, if not more, and I train 10-12hours/week.

I'm afraid it will get him there tired, I highly recommend one intensity session + 1 long tempo/z2 and one easy ride considering his current training  / form / fitness

depends on the length of those rides.

3 - 4 days a week I do a 27km route, zone 1 -2 it takes me just over 1 hour, flat out 54 min. I then do a long(ish) ride on a sunday of 2 - 3hours. All inclusive thats around 150km a week.

13 hours ago, lukecamtyler said:

When I mean I haven't trained I don't mean at all. 
I just never intended on doing the event until last week, I've still been out on the bike 3 times a week (150km per week) and done the Amashova, Tour Durban and a few other races last year. 

Just haven't been doing any race training, efforts, intervals, hill work etc.

150km a week? That's 3 hour territory. What you worried about?

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

no man, if you've been doing 150km / 3 rides a week you're not starting from 0, meaning you can still use your last 2/3 weeks before the event to do some specific training. At this point you probably want to do a 3 hour ride at Z2/Tempo at least once a week, maybe a short 5-6*4-5 mins intervals workout once a week, and the rest very easy.

If you do 150km a week then you have your 100km at Z2/Tempo on the weekend, a 30km intervals session middle of the week, and maybe another 20-30km ride easy zone1 the day  before the intervals... That's what I would do if I were you considering the volume your body is used to and the time you seem to have to put in your training. Too late to double your volume anyways

This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for - just some form of structured training.

I have been watching Dylan Johnson on YouTube and hes got some great interval training advice leading up to race week (with science behind the advice to back it up)
I did a 20km interval session yesterday, and will do a 3hr Z2 on Sunday.

Much appreciated mate.

Also got some carbon clinchers last week to assist lol.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:33 AM, ouzo said:

depends on the length of those rides.

3 - 4 days a week I do a 27km route, zone 1 -2 it takes me just over 1 hour, flat out 54 min. I then do a long(ish) ride on a sunday of 2 - 3hours. All inclusive thats around 150km a week.

Nailed it

60min interval sessions Tuesday and Thursday 

a 90min tempo session on Saturday morning

3.5 hrs endurance sessions on sunday

thats 6 hrs

recovery on Monday and Friday won’t leave anyone tired 

Lots of last minute training happening on the roads today ...

My friend on his FIRST road ride, and his first ride over 55km was passing a couple of these trainees .... :whistling:

There was one couple heading out from Stellenbosch toward Kuilsriver .... they were RIDING those hills !!  As we came down towards Kuilsriver they had already turned around and was halfway UP that hill again .... certainly NOT "last minute" training in their case.

Edited by ChrisF

On 2/17/2022 at 8:46 PM, lukecamtyler said:

I've still been out on the bike 3 times a week (150km per week) and done the Amashova, Tour Durban and a few other races last year. 

If this isn't training, wtf have I been doing? 😑